2020 Atlantic 10 Tournament (March 11-15, Brooklyn, NY)

Nope.

The conferences and the NCAA have way too much clout to allow municipality or states to implement closed door tournaments. The revenue pumped into the local economies is nothing to sneeze at. All the NCAA would have to say is, you close your venue to fans, you'll never host another tournament game. Local blowback by recipients of the economic impact would be substantial.

I hope you're right because I feel like it's overblown for how bad it is if you have a healthy immune system. I'm just nervous that NYC/NYS officials will step in and say shut down A10s/Big East/NCAA East regional at MSG. I know it's way worse in Italy, but all sports are shut down there now.

I'm really not trying to scare anyone or sound like a B*ndwag*ner. I personally think it's overhyped unless you are elderly/have a weak immune system. I just want our good friend Bernadette to publicly say the tournament is still open so the weekend isn't fucked.

I don't think a municipality will force their hands, I'm nervous that the A10 will decide on their own. SXSW did it and there are more and more examples of public events shutting down -- not a single one was forced to do so by any government.

For the record, I think it is an enormous overreaction for them to do it. It would cost them millions in lost revenue and it isn't that big of a deal. However, don't be surprised if it happens.

EDIT: I also REALLY REALLY hope BI85 is right.

Last edited:
Enormous overreaction without a doubt. The stats on this thing show that the majority of the deaths are the elderly, and not only that, elderly with other health complications. Is it serious? Yeah it's serious. Do you want COVID? No. But the majority of us, except res - who's like 112 - would pull through if we got it. Maybe a conference tournament could get the axe ahead of an NCAA regional. But the NCAA has the clout to tell host cities to buzz off. I also think they'd step in on behalf of conferences. I hope Bernie already got her ass handed to her for issuing the pre-game handshake ban for a sport where guys are going to sweat, cough, spit, and potentially bleed all over each other for 40 minutes. But sure, ban the handshakes. There's just no common sense anymore.

ETA: She would also potentially be guaranteeing we get one lousy fucking bid if she shut it down and declared Dayton our champ. I would hope we'd be looking for a new commissioner.

I'm a healthy 112, though. While don't you young bucks take a stab at this thing and get back to me on how it is. Eddie Ball would also be interested, I'm sure.

Enormous overreaction without a doubt. The stats on this thing show that the majority of the deaths are the elderly, and not only that, elderly with other health complications. Is it serious? Yeah it's serious. Do you want COVID? No. But the majority of us, except res - who's like 112 - would pull through if we got it. Maybe a conference tournament could get the axe ahead of an NCAA regional. But the NCAA has the clout to tell host cities to buzz off. I also think they'd step in on behalf of conferences. I hope Bernie already got her ass handed to her for issuing the pre-game handshake ban for a sport where guys are going to sweat, cough, spit, and potentially bleed all over each other for 40 minutes. But sure, ban the handshakes. There's just no common sense anymore.

ETA: She would also potentially be guaranteeing we get one lousy fucking bid if she shut it down and declared Dayton our champ. I would hope we'd be looking for a new commissioner.

You're preaching to the choir, man. It's all common sense shit like wash your hands and don't fucking cough freely. I'm just worried if one shit-sipper conference like the Southland or something closes the doors, a ton of others will follow suit.

Like Fanatic said, they won't cancel the tournament, but there's a chance the Barclays Center doors are closed.

General Tadeusz Andrzej Bonawentura Kosciuszko = General Theodore Andrew Bonaventure Kosciuszko = So there it mutherfucking is. More than just a coincidence.....it is absolutely why the Tournament needs to be played in the high school gym at Kosko, Massap.

Pissah!

Aloha!

General Tadeusz Andrzej Bonawentura Kosciuszko = General Theodore Andrew Bonaventure Kosciuszko = So there it mutherfucking is. More than just a coincidence.....it is absolutely why the Tournament needs to be played in the high school gym at Kosko, Massap.

Pissah!

Aloha!
As a casual Kosciuszko enthusiast, I am ashamed that I didn’t know the Bonaventure connection.

Switching topics to the actual basketball going to be played. If you liked my breakdowns of Davidson and Richmond you should definitely check this out.

It was put together by 2 managers from SLU so SLU's info isn't included. They give you pretty straightforward stuff on the first page for each team but the second page breaks down the offensive and defensive strategies, with video to show what they are talking about. They use some different terminology than I do but reading/watching through will make you a smarter basketball watcher.

Switching topics to the actual basketball going to be played. If you liked my breakdowns of Davidson and Richmond you should definitely check this out.

It was put together by 2 managers from SLU so SLU's info isn't included. They give you pretty straightforward stuff on the first page for each team but the second page breaks down the offensive and defensive strategies, with video to show what they are talking about. They use some different terminology than I do but reading/watching through will make you a smarter basketball watcher.
I assumed our top line-up would be four sophomores and a freshman, but I didn't see Vazquez and Planutis in there. Would have expected to see Juston Wonston at the 4. I will also now wait for Wonston to become the regular spelling on the BW.

Remember that time I said a shit-sipper conference could try to set a precedent?

By the way, Jon was EXACTLY as much of a shill as he always is when he hopped on WFAN right after this news broke... FYI, the Ivy was supposed to play at Harvard, not in NYC.

I mean a couple of 3 things to consider about the Ivy League cancelling.

1. The Tournament is held on campus at Cambridge. Harvard is physically closed for the time being--so that makes sense.

2. The Ivy League Tournament started in 2017 so not exactly years of tradition for a (2) day event.

3. All of this is up in the air. Go fucking Bonas

we RESPECT and HONOR our Spanish Civil War vets around here

We love the Spanish Civil War veterans, folks!

Yeah, the closer we get to the Pillow Fight with no news, the better. We are less than 24 hours from the first game (CAN'T FUCKING WAIT). I didn't know when the Ivy news first dropped that Harvard was shutting down/the host. Those Boston schools are way more global than ours (even somewhere like Fordham), so they have more of a reason to close.

Ohio Governor Wants Spectatorless Indoor Sporting Events.....

A10 Tournament should be held on Kosko High School's outdoor bball court. Would guarantee alack of spectators while honoring General T. A Bonaventure Kosciuszko.

Pissah!

Aloha!

Yikes! New Rochelle has been designated some kind of restricted zone called a "containment area." New York National Guard activated to distribute food etc. to shut-ins. I see Iona defeated Canisius in the MAAC tourney. Don't go home, team!
Getting the Army involved could lead to some interesting procedures. Find an old vet--really old--and ask him if he remembers the "short arm inspection."

Back