2023 Offseason

Confirmed Games (Updated - 5-15-23):
Legends Classic - 2 games in NYC at Barclays (Nov 16 & 17 - Times TBA) vs 2 of ND/Auburn/Oklahoma St.
Link
Miami-OH - H - Sat, Nov 25th @ Time TBA
Link
SUNY Amherst (UB) - A (2 in a row away) - Sat, Dec 2nd @ Time TBA
Link
FAU - N (Springfield, Mass) - Sat, Dec 16th @ Time TBA
Link
FGCU - A - Date & Time TBA
Link
Niagara - A - Date & Time TBA (Last Played on Dec 18, 2019)
Confirmed by SBUnfurled
Akron - N (Cleveland, OH) - Sat, Dec 30th @ Time TBA - Double Header with OSU & WVU
Link

Assumed Games (Not Confirmed as of 5-15-23):
Canisius - H - Date & Time TBA
Siena - H - Date & Time TBA

10/13 Possible OOC Games Listed Above

Still waiting on Three Home games (Would Total Six OOC Games in the RC)

I think its safe to say that 2 months ago we were all pretty down on this team. Now, what a difference 2 months makes! I am not saying they will win the A10 or should be the favorite but there is not any reason to think they cant contend for the title. Unfortunately the non conference will not allow for a much of a shot at an at large unless they sweep the Legends and beat FAU. For now though, (stop me if you have heard this before) I think this is the deepest team we have seen since 2012-13. We now have Flowers and Luc (presumably) coming off the bench and there is no reason they cant get 15 min a night. Banks can get a few blows and you can cycle MAW and Pride out as well. Can also go small and play 3 G and move Yan to the 4. You still have Evans and Thompson looming if we need to go big. Pride and MAW instantly upgrade the backcourt and credit to Schmidt for just going out and getting the best players he can find and go for it this year.

Probably as good as we could have asked for, talent-wise. Any Schmidt team is going to take a while to come together with all these new pieces and Schmidt's "playbook", though. I think it's going to be another A10 championship or bust type of season.

I know the home schedule is not fully out yet but who is going to beat us at the RC? Yeah, they'll drop some head scratchers on the road but no excuses for any home games as I dont think there is an opponent with more talent than ours coming to the RC

I know the home schedule is not fully out yet but who is going to beat us at the RC? Yeah, they'll drop some head scratchers on the road but no excuses for any home games as I dont think there is an opponent with more talent than ours coming to the RC
Yea, you never know what kind of buy game we find or some H-H series (UNI) but we should not lose a non conference game at home with this slate

I think the OOC could yield an at-large bid if we avoid more than one Q3/4 loss. The issue is the ATLANTIC 10. This coming year could be worse than this past...I mean Dayton and VCU lost everyone of value.

Maybe a team like Duquesne or Saint Joe's can make a run at the title, but I haven't heard a lot of good stories from many A10 schools this offseason. I think we have a shot to be pretty solid. No idea what to expect from Saint Louis, but the rest of the conference seems pretty average. I'm sure URI will improve, but how does Davidson do now that two of their two three scorers are gone? GW lost a ton, UMass might be better, but they lost two of their better players. Fordham, too, lost a couple of key guys to graduation.

Back to what we can control...Here's how our OOC COULD shake out:

-ND/OKSTATE/AUBURN - (Could be TWO Q1 games)
-Miami-OH - (probably Q3/4)
-SUNY Amherst (UB) - (probably Q3)
-FAU - (Q1)
-FGCU - (Q2)
-Niagara - (Q3/4)
-Akron - (Q2)
-Siena (Q3/4)
-Canisius (Q3/4)

A schedule with five Q1/2 games would be great. Miami, UB, NU, Siena and CC are all crap games so hopefully we don't add another poor team to the schedule.

In my opinion we need a road game at a school like Princeton or a top mid-major. Have the return game at Bona when we stink the following year.

I am more bullish on VCU than others, I think they have the best roster in the league and they have a great coach. i expect them to win the A10 when its all said and done. Unfortunately with them putting together a new roster from scratch, it might take them a little time to get it together so the A10 will probably be a 1 bid league again.

I dont see much of a path to an at large for us. Maybe we can go out and get some good games scheduled now that we know where we stand. The VT game in Charlotte came out of nowhere a couple years ago. Hopefully Matt P is reading this and taking our advice

Two more numbers going in the rafters for women's basketball!

Katie Healey and Sue Shae Daniewicz...How will they fit all the new banners? Perhaps they'll dedicate a the south wall of the RC to women's basketball players who have their number retired.

“Yes, everyone. This is an excellent idea. Sue Shay, with 53 wins and zero postseasons in four years as a player, absolutely belongs in the rafters with Bob Lanier and Tom Stith, who were 1st team All-Americans, members of program-defining teams who made deep NCAA runs, and the 1st and 2nd overall picks in NBA Drafts, respectively.”

Hey, though, maybe we’ll get a few dozen social media “likes” and come across as really with the times! JACK OFF HAND SIGNAL!!!!

Rein it in. There's an SBU HoF for shit like this. I'd bet 95% of Bona grads have no idea who either were, and for women's BB? Huh?! You should be a Bona household name to sniff rare air in the RC.

1 RC Drive has become a clown show. A caricature.

I played a club sport and have a checkbook when do I get my number retired?
That is exactly what’s happening here. Why is Bill Kenville in the rafters? Ask BoT chair Mike Hickey (don’t get me started), who married into the Kenville family. It’s a total joke and trivializes the honor for guys like Lanier and Stith (who should be the only players in any sport whose numbers are out of circulation).

That is exactly what’s happening here. Why is Bill Kenville in the rafters? Ask BoT chair Mike Hickey (don’t get me started), who married into the Kenville family. It’s a total joke and trivializes the honor for guys like Lanier and Stith (who should be the only players in any sport whose numbers are out of circulation).
How much money is the Kenville family paying to be honored?

To be fair, Manhertz said he would stick advertising anywhere and everywhere if it meant some money would be flowing into the athletic department.

Didn't think they'd be retiring numbers based on donations though..

How much money is the Kenville family paying to be honored?

To be fair, Manhertz said he would stick advertising anywhere and everywhere if it meant some money would be flowing into the athletic department.

Didn't think they'd be retiring numbers based on donations though..
There are ways to do this that don't include putting names/numbers in the rafters with generation-transcending legends like Bob Lanier and Tom Stith. As '85 said, this is the purpose of a HOF. If someone needs more than that, then we have plenty of wall space in the hallways for murals, documenting accolades, etc. Make the halls a walkable museum if you want, but leave the fucking rafters alone already. For fuck's sake, I can barely see the video board anymore. It's seriously ridiculous. 1st Round NIT banners? Shared "you were a good player" and donation-driven banners? Fuck right off.

Edit to add: It also infuriates me that a BoT member like Mike Hickey inserts himself into something like this. Not your lane, hot shot. Stick to editing the minutes from BoT meetings to omit the retarded shit you said.

Back