2022 Recruiting

I would love a Powell and Hill signing, but doesn't that show us what the staff things of Rumpel, JNT and AM?

Obviously the bandwagon thinks Rumpel is an elite player who will be a cornerstone for our program for many years, but if we sign Powell, I find it hard imagining he gets more than a handful of minutes a night.

Also, if we sign Hill, who seems like he's a 4, that makes things complicated with Yann, Barry, JNT and AM.

Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but I don't recall many years in which we had eight or more solid contributors. Luc, Flowers, Banks, Farrell, Evans, and Venning seem like they'd get a majority of the minutes at first glance. Throw in Powell and Hill/Waterman, and I don't see many minutes for the remaining guys.
Well, this brings up another problem with the shitty transfer portal era: staffs—even ones who don’t typically recruit over their four-year guys—have no choice but to max out the roster as best they can every offseason.

You can’t assume anyone will stay long term if he hasn’t already used his one-time transfer waiver; consequently, you need to load up with as many good, protectable players as possible. It fucking stinks for everyone, but this is what “player empowerment” looks like.

I would love a Powell and Hill signing, but doesn't that show us what the staff things of Rumpel, JNT and AM?

Obviously the bandwagon thinks Rumpel is an elite player who will be a cornerstone for our program for many years, but if we sign Powell, I find it hard imagining he gets more than a handful of minutes a night.

Also, if we sign Hill, who seems like he's a 4, that makes things complicated with Yann, Barry, JNT and AM.

Maybe I'm looking at this incorrectly, but I don't recall many years in which we had eight or more solid contributors. Luc, Flowers, Banks, Farrell, Evans, and Venning seem like they'd get a majority of the minutes at first glance. Throw in Powell and Hill/Waterman, and I don't see many minutes for the remaining guys.
I dont think the staff cares. We are to the point with things that you have to put together the best team possible every year and then adjust after when players leave. Its the reality of the situation and everything will sort itself out. I would think JNT and Rumpel have a leg up having been in the system for a year but if Evans/Yann/Powell are better, they will win out. I wouldnt worry about who plays the 4 if we sign Hill, its positionless basketball. If we have a team like the 2011-2012 where we have 9 legit rotation players, I would be ecstatic.

I'm not expecting much out of Venning of Amadasun, at least not this year. I see them more as big-bodied projects to rotate in among the more positionless guys. Similar to the 2016-2018 era. Anna Our Melouk, JNT, Evans, Farrell, and if we sign them Waterman, and others mentioned are all adaptable. Frankly, I missed that era where the 3/4 and 4/5 was a rotating stable of guard, lengthy forward, and true big man. It made us more adaptable. We didnt have it the last couple of years, and I think it had a lot to do with why certain types of teams gave us fits. This departing group perhaps had more upside when the matchup was right, and everything was clicking, but they got their shit pushed in many times over the years. Those more adaptable teams rarely got their ass kicked, and never to the magnitude of the the recent group.

As far as finding PT, I'll add this: the fear of us having too many guys to choose from is both a good problem to have, and one we've never had, despite it being worried about every year. We've never had guys leave for reasons of PT who went on to kill it at a reasonably high level. Winston has tail spun into the MEAC. Chef and Vasquez were out of basketball last year. Carpenter put up gawdy numbers on a 2-26 SWAC team. Bobby P has had the most success with pedestrian numbers on a Horizon team. And so on. If guys can play, they will get a shot.

I'm not expecting much out of Venning of Amadasun, at least not this year. I see them more as big-bodied projects to rotate in among the more positionless guys. Similar to the 2016-2018 era. Anna Our Melouk, JNT, Evans, Farrell, and if we sign them Waterman, and others mentioned are all adaptable. Frankly, I missed that era where the 3/4 and 4/5 was a rotating stable of guard, lengthy forward, and true big man. It made us more adaptable. We didnt have it the last couple of years, and I think it had a lot to do with why certain types of teams gave us fits. This departing group perhaps had more upside when the matchup was right, and everything was clicking, but they got their shit pushed in many times over the years. Those more adaptable teams rarely got their ass kicked, and never to the magnitude of the the recent group.

As far as finding PT, I'll add this: the fear of us having too many guys to choose from is both a good problem to have, and one we've never had, despite it being worried about every year. We've never had guys leave for reasons of PT who went on to kill it at a reasonably high level. Winston has tail spun into the MEAC. Chef and Vasquez were out of basketball last year. Carpenter put up gawdy numbers on a 2-26 SWAC team. Bobby P has had the most success with pedestrian numbers on a Horizon team. And so on. If guys can play, they will get a shot.

Agree. I guess I'm not all that worried if a guy like JNT transfers to Hofstra or Stony Brook.

This team might go small at times with LUC playing off ball like Eric Mosley did a decade ago. My only real concern is who is good enough to run point. I could be wrong, but Kyrell is not a true PG, correct?

Yes, CBB and the NBA are becoming more positionless, BUT every team needs a capable ball handler.

If this team can sign Powell and either Waterman or Hill, this team might be really, really good.

I think you could see Hill be in the rotation at both 4 and the 5. Between Hill, Farell, and Evans it gives this team much need size at the 4. And depending on how much Schmidt trust both Venning and Amadasun probably depends how much time Hill possibly gets at the 4 or the 5. Hopefully Schmidyntrust them more than Duro, it seemed like he kept Coulibaly excluively as Shoon's backup to proctect him from fould touble where it seemed like some games they should have played together.

Agree. I guess I'm not all that worried if a guy like JNT transfers to Hofstra or Stony Brook.

This team might go small at times with LUC playing off ball like Eric Mosley did a decade ago. My only real concern is who is good enough to run point. I could be wrong, but Kyrell is not a true PG, correct?

Yes, CBB and the NBA are becoming more positionless, BUT every team needs a capable ball handler.

If this team can sign Powell and either Waterman or Hill, this team might be really, really good.
Luc ran the point at holy cross. He had a typical freshmen season with some inconsistent play and turnovers but I expect some improvement there. The question is who can fill in when he is out?

As much as you don't want to see players transfer out the reality is if this program is going to go where we want it to be guys are going to get recruited over. I just dont want to see the Duquense thing where 20 guys have scholarships and there is a NFL style cutdown in August.

Hopefully they can land all 3 of those guys and really round out the roster.

Not to get ahead of ourselves because he's not on the roster, but as long as we're mentioning him, Powell ran a lot of point at Auburn. He's 6-6 and much better as an off-the-ball wing, but his handle is really good and I'm sure he could provide minutes there if Rumpel isn't ready as a backup PG.

His best game as a college player actually came while running point for Auburn against Memphis. 26 points on 5-7 from 2 and 4-6 from 3. That season, Memphis was first in the country in defense.

Not to get ahead of ourselves because he's not on the roster, but as long as we're mentioning him, Powell ran a lot of point at Auburn. He's 6-6 and much better as an off-the-ball wing, but his handle is really good and I'm sure he could provide minutes there if Rumpel isn't ready as a backup PG.

His best game as a college player actually came while running point for Auburn against Memphis. 26 points on 5-7 from 2 and 4-6 from 3. That season, Memphis was first in the country in defense.
Shut up.

Luc ran the point at holy cross. He had a typical freshmen season with some inconsistent play and turnovers but I expect some improvement there. The question is who can fill in when he is out?
Yes, he ran the point, but out of necessity. There was no one else on the roster who could do it. I haven't seen him enough to know, but the posters on the Holy Cross board, fwiw, did not consider him to be a "true" point guard, whatever that entails.

If we are headed toward a roster without a “true” PG, I can’t remember such a roster under Schmidt. You’d have to go as far back as Ray Blackburn and I don’t think I can or want to remember if he was a true PG.

Yes, he ran the point, but out of necessity. There was no one else on the roster who could do it. I haven't seen him enough to know, but the posters on the Holy Cross board, fwiw, did not consider him to be a "true" point guard, whatever that entails.
Is there anyone on this roster who can do it? I assumed he was brought in to do it.
If we are headed toward a roster without a “true” PG, I can’t remember such a roster under Schmidt. You’d have to go as far back as Ray Blackburn and I don’t think I can or want to remember if he was a true PG.
Even then we had Ogo, who for some reason people didnt like.

I'm thinking that Schmidt and co have a plan. They clearly identified Kyrell as the guy. The have seen enough of Rumpel to know whether he could handle the job or not. If you look at the rest of the roster, Flowers and Banks are capable ball handlers, Ive been told that JNT can handle the ball and what we've seen of Farell on film he seems to handle the ball pretty well too. Do we have Kyle Lofton out of the gate? No, but again I think there is a plan. It might be the reason we are looking at Powers and now DeZonie vs lets say Waterman as the first two seem to be able to handle the ball. Again getting back to the roster I think it's about getting guys who are going to play more than one role. I guess the reverse of that is getting a guy to play back up point guard and then the guy may never see the floor. I kind of saw that with Joryam, all the guards they have, have experience.

I too like the Hill idea, but another name, maybe a long shot has surfaced, Mason Michi'L, 6'8" PF, out of Las Vegas, can play physical, but can also shoot from distance. Don't know if either is really in play for us, but both appear to be good options IMO.

Adams or Lofton have been the starting PG for 8 of Schmidt's 15 seasons. And early on we had guys like Kloof or Ogo that were more assist oriented and put up fewer shots. But I'm not worried about possibly not having a pure PG next year. The only thing I worry about without a pure PG is VCU, Dayton, SLU, UMass all might pressure the ball pretty aggressively this year and it is something teams without pure PGs struggle against. Look at what happened when teams pressed Davidson last year. Loyer melted down.

I think Schmidt's offense has evolved to match the strengths of the guys on the team. We never ran the baseline cut (the Adaway play) when Gregg was on the roster, he could have made that play but the other guy on the court might not have been suited for it. If we dont have a pure PG we will run less high pick and roll and more weave/motion sets. Especially with the group of wings we have coming in. We are probably in for a season similar to 2014 where 7 guys averaged 8 points per game, unless someone emerges as a go to scorer.

Is there anyone on this roster who can do it? I assumed he was brought in to do it.

Even then we had Ogo, who for some reason people didnt like.
I think that's because he was not good to just OK his JR year and was good his SR year, and had a solid pro career. Also I think people over estimate the impact that JUCOS will have especially in their 1st season, and guards seem to do better in the long run than bigs.
Bonas sucess with JUCOS has to be 50/50 at best. Most of the sudessful ones havent been traditional JUCOS. Kloof and Holmes 1 year in JUCO. Posley D1 drop down so he didnt have to sit a year. Stockard spent 2 years at Bonas before seeing the cout. Kevin Houston had a stop at South Beach and The U before finishing his carrer with Bonas(even had to sit a year I believe). Other than Ogo, Hall, and Johnson I cant remeber too many traditional JUCO that made that big of an impact. Maybe a back up big did once?

Adams or Lofton have been the starting PG for 8 of Schmidt's 15 seasons. And early on we had guys like Kloof or Ogo that were more assist oriented and put up fewer shots. But I'm not worried about possibly not having a pure PG next year. The only thing I worry about without a pure PG is VCU, Dayton, SLU, UMass all might pressure the ball pretty aggressively this year and it is something teams without pure PGs struggle against. Look at what happened when teams pressed Davidson last year. Loyer melted down.

I think Schmidt's offense has evolved to match the strengths of the guys on the team. We never ran the baseline cut (the Adaway play) when Gregg was on the roster, he could have made that play but the other guy on the court might not have been suited for it. If we dont have a pure PG we will run less high pick and roll and more weave/motion sets. Especially with the group of wings we have coming in. We are probably in for a season similar to 2014 where 7 guys averaged 8 points per game, unless someone emerges as a go to scorer.
I also think without a true pg guard and a wing heavy team I would expect them to try run after every deffensive board and score on the primary break.
But if Luc is this teams true PG based on how Scmidt used all the other PG's you mentioned I would expect him to play a ton of minutes.

I'm sure that Kyrell has a lot of choices and he saw the situation here where he could come in and be the guy. The way our wings; numbers. and quality, are shaping up I agree that we are going to push the ball more. Taking nothing away from Kyle, but I think uptempo is Kyrell's game, we've got some uber quick guards and the aforementioned wings and we believe better 3 point shooting than we had last year, another reason to push the ball up for early looks. While it represents a real challenge, in terms of quality of players in the A10 vs the Patriot when it comes to level of player from top to bottom of conference, that said, Kyrell's quickness to get into space and his athleticism that enables him to get his shot is going to make him difficult to contain IMO, the growth will be to improve as a distributor and another plus here will be the guys he's dishing to are pretty much all good scorers in their own right. I can see Kyrell running the break with Yann and any number of are other guys. A very different team in that respect to what we've been in past years.

Last edited:
Ogo and Blackburn did not play on the same team- Blackburn was 08-09 only, Ogo came in the year after.

To be clear, I'd take Luc regardless of his 'true' status over any PG we had under Schmidt, prior to the fall of 2014.

I'm sure that Tyrell has a lot of choices and he saw the situation here where he could come in and be the guy. The way our wings; numbers. and quality, are shaping up I agree that we are going to push the ball more. Taking nothing away from Kyle, but I think uptempo is Tyrell's game, we've got some uber quick guards and the aforementioned wings and we believe better 3 point shooting than we had last year, another reason to push the ball up for early looks. While it represents a real challenge, in terms of quality of players in the A10 vs the Patriot when it comes to level of player from top to bottom of conference, that said, Kyrell's quickness to get into space and his athleticism that enables him to get his shot is going to make him difficult to contain IMO, the growth will be to improve as a distributor and another plus here will be the guys he's dishing to are pretty much all good scorers in their own right. I can see Kyrell running the break with Yann and any number of are other guys. A very different team in that respect to what we've been in past years.
How hard is it to get the names of our players right? You would think with the long love letter posts to anyone we are remotely connected to that you make, you’d be able to get their names right more than half the time. Not even mentioning the other names that you routinely butcher

Back