Transfer Portal thread

C.R.E.A.M
Like Citzen X said maybe were better off moving on. As good as these guys are they werent perfect and for a program like Bonaventure that has a "salary cap" maybe some of the savings with those guys moving on can be used to build for the future.

C.R.E.A.M
Like Citzen X said maybe were better off moving on. As good as these guys are they werent perfect and for a program like Bonaventure that has a "salary cap" maybe some of the savings with those guys moving on can be used to build for the future.
I heard rumors that some players were offered moderate NIL $$. I thought I heard 80K for all four, but I could be wrong.

If that was the case, we are most certainly better off investing in our facilities and scheduling than a bunch of players with one yr. of eligibility remaiming.

This isn't a knock on any one player as they all had obviously great careers at SBU, but we really need some new faces and different skillsets on this team. It would have been great to have a couple of guys come back, but it's also nice to have three guys that played serious minutes at the D1 level and not a bunch of JUCO and freshman fill-ins.

The new team will take their lumps, but I think they will be a top half team next season.

I wanted to share this tweet(even though FDU is up 15 as of writing this.Screenshot_20230315-193006_Twitter.jpg this.
And I think it goes to show that no sit year may not be beneficial for every player. I think a players like Hill and Luc really would have benefited from a year in the system.
Even a more mature player like Flowres coming from a much weaker conference needed about 3 months to figure it out. At least he didn't lose a year of eligibility plying this year.
Sorry for any issues typing this in a hurry at the airport.

I wanted to share this tweet(even though FDU is up 15 as of writing this.View attachment 457 this.
And I think it goes to show that no sit year may not be beneficial for every player. I think a players like Hill and Luc really would have benefited from a year in the system.
Even a more mature player like Flowres coming from a much weaker conference needed about 3 months to figure it out. At least he didn't lose a year of eligibility plying this year.
Sorry for any issues typing this in a hurry at the airport.
No doubt, but the staff and/or player could have decided on a redshirt though, right? Obviously more so for Hill in this case, Luc was presumed to be a day 1 starter.

Hate to state the obvious, but another huge issue is having to learn Schmidt's system in one year. Who knows how Matt Mobley would have looked had he played his first year.

Also is a good reminder that we should only go after guys with 2+ years of experience because the first year might be more developmental than anything.

I was thinking about Schmidts play book. And watching games commentators talk about how big it is a positive. Then during the Fordham game rhey talk about Urgo using a simplified playbook because that's what Jay Wright at Villanova taught him.
The more I think about it with Schmidt's recent inability to develope a bench and the fact in modern college basketball players don't stick around it may be time for him ro go simpler where it's not as hard for players to learn mtiple positions and earn playing time as underclassmen.
I also think he needs a different base defense. But thays just my opinion.
Also sorry about my typing drinking many LBL's watching basketbal.

No doubt, but the staff and/or player could have decided on a redshirt though, right? Obviously more so for Hill in this case, Luc was presumed to be a day 1 starter.
I think the issue here is other teams are involved it may force your hand in what you want to do when trying to land a recruit.
I think its just going to be hard for a 6-9 195 lb power forward/center to have success on the A10 level.

Schmidt has needed to thin out his playbook for a few years now. It’s totally unnecessary in this Wild West climate.

Additionally, it drives me nuts, as others have said, that our guys get locked into playing one position. These days, almost everyone (save for true centers like Venning, Max, and MelMart) should be able to play multiple positions. It’s asinine that Farell and Evans aren’t proficient at 3/4; Luc at 1/2; Banks and Flowers at 2/3; Mellouk and Hill at 4/5.

One more thing: why are we even recruiting HS kids right now? With the aforementioned Wild West running amok, it would seem wise to focus on as much continuity and player development as is possible. That is our program’s bread and butter. This means transfers with two and three years remaining (admittedly, like last spring). If it’s a very special situation (Vanterpool) or a kid is local (Rose), then fine. Take a shot. Otherwise, ride with the D1 transfers who fit our system.

Oh, and GET US SOME A10 GUARDS!

On the topic of Schmidt i think he needs to stop over emphisizing defense and open up to more offense. There are some similarites between Bonas and Virgina. As I watched Virginia lose to Furman it made me think of this WSJ article from 2018
I feel like if Bonas wants to winn more and get tournament winns there needs to be more emphasis on offense. It seems Lome that has been sorely lacking for a long time
PS I understand UVA won natty in 2019

On the topic of Schmidt i think he needs to stop over emphisizing defense and open up to more offense. There are some similarites between Bonas and Virgina. As I watched Virginia lose to Furman it made me think of this WSJ article from 2018
I feel like if Bonas wants to winn more and get tournament winns there needs to be more emphasis on offense. It seems Lome that has been sorely lacking for a long time
PS I understand UVA won natty in 2019
The point UVA isn't necessarily true. Yes, UVA doesn't score at a high clip, but they are almost always one of the most efficient offenses in CBB.

When they won the title in 2019, they were second in the country in efficiency (AKA points per 100 possessions). That year UVA was one of the slowest teams in adjusted tempo, too. Like in football, if you can score at a high clip when you have the ball and control the pace of play, you're going to win a lot of games.

It's pointless to look at PPG to analyze a team. How efficient they are is much more important.

For all those filling out brackets, seven straight national champions have been in the top 10 in offensive efficiency (and 14 of the last 16). You also need to have a strong defense, too, obviously. 16-straight champs have had a defense in the top 22 (defensive efficiency rank).

There's only a few programs that fit that bill this year...UConn, Purdue and Houston with Texas just missing the cut. Alabama is close too, but they turn over the ball a ton. I'd be shocked if they won it.

The Brown & White were ranked 263rd this year in Offensive efficiency and 129th in D while checking in 274th in tempo. VCU has one of the worst offensives of any non-low major left in the tourney at 166th. They got a tough draw in Saint Mary's, so I doubt VCU makes it out of this round.

Mellouk and amadasun into the portal. Those were 2 I don't mind losing if martinez has anything to offer
Mellouk and amadasun into the portal. Those were 2 I don't mind losing if martinez has anything to offer
I would have liked to keep AM. But I get where you are coming from. Based on what positions they're going after I expect 1 more to announce

I like AM. I think with development he had potential. Not going to lose sleep about him leaving but it's a missed opportunity. Max.. I dont know. We didn't see enough.

I like AM. I think with development he had potential. Not going to lose sleep about him leaving but it's a missed opportunity. Max.. I dont know. We didn't see enough.
Me too, I wish we hadn’t pigeon holed him into a small 5. I guess that was kind of forced though since Max didn’t show much. Hoping MM has bulked up, otherwise we are still in the same boat with no real backup for Chad.

Back