Transfer Portal thread

I have just got to keep reminding myself: "Kids gonna be kids and do stupid shit." I know not to try to figure them out. Most people couldn't have figured me out at that age either. I dropped out of Bona for a semester to take my chances with my Viet Nam era draft board at the height of the war. All because I needed a change and needed to spend more time reading some actually good literature while working a plum position as a blue-collar worker. You've just gotta march to the beat of your own drum. I am looking forward to seeing what we come up with in the fall because you never know what you've got until you see them playing as a team against serious competition. If you really think Bona basketball is a shit show, just try day-trading the S&P futures.

I think the Free Quadry movement really soured Holmes on Bonas. There is even a recent twitter thread where is Mom chimes in. At the end of the day the proper thing to do was be as complimentary to the Bonas community as possible so not to alienate us no matter what his current feelings are because it would only benefit everyone in the long run.
That being said I would have been glad to have him back at Bonas but in the same breath I'll only ne upset that he transfered if he hitd open 3's shoots 39% form 3 and uses his left hand when driving from the left so he stops getting blocked when he does.

I think the Free Quadry movement really soured Holmes on Bonas. There is even a recent twitter thread where is Mom chimes in. At the end of the day the proper thing to do was be as complimentary to the Bonas community as possible so not to alienate us no matter what his current feelings are because it would only benefit everyone in the long run.
That being said I would have been glad to have him back at Bonas but in the same breath I'll only ne upset that he transfered if he hitd open 3's shoots 39% form 3 and uses his left hand when driving from the left so he stops getting blocked when he does.
Yeah. There’s no coming back from some of the subtle shit talk Holmes has been doing out the door.

Being soured by a tiny minority yelling “Free Quadry” is going to make you salty? Our players live like kings here and are mostly above real criticism. Wait until you go on a month-long shooting slump in the Big 12. All of that “love” from “Cyclone Nation” will invert quickly.

The “everything is allowed” Twitter crew be damned, these guys buried their legacies at a place that invested a ton in them—a place they were genuinely loved.

Oh, and good luck with that future professional reference from the most powerful man in NBA journalism (a ride or die Bona Man). The bridges are smoldering.

This is motherfucking bullshit. All 5 just need to graduate and move on post SBU. Schmidt needs to rebuild over the next couple of seasons. The decrepit shithouse located directly across from the Post Office in the RC needs to be remodeled.

It's really that simple.

Pissah!

Aloha!

Yeah. There’s no coming back from some of the subtle shit talk Holmes has been doing out the door.

Being soured by a tiny minority yelling “Free Quadry” is going to make you salty? Our players live like kings here and are mostly above real criticism. Wait until you go on a month-long shooting slump in the Big 12. All of that “love” from “Cyclone Nation” will invert quickly.

The “everything is allowed” Twitter crew be damned, these guys buried their legacies at a place that invested a ton in them—a place they were genuinely loved.

Oh, and good luck with that future professional reference from the most powerful man in NBA journalism (a ride or die Bona Man). The bridges are smoldering.
Exactly wait for his 1st bad game and the "He's no Brockington" emerges.
And Fuck Iowa St. Last years sucess was built off the portal and looks like they're trying to capture lighting in a bottle 2 years in a row. You have to imagine West Virginia and OU are going to be better than last year, and things wont be as easy for Iowa St as it was last year.

This is motherfucking bullshit. All 5 just need to graduate and move on post SBU. Schmidt needs to rebuild over the next couple of seasons. The decrepit shithouse located directly across from the Post Office in the RC needs to be remodeled.

It's really that simple.

Pissah!

Aloha!
Truer words have never been spoken.

Exactly wait for his 1st bad game and the "He's no Brockington" emerges.
And Fuck Iowa St. Last years sucess was built off the portal and looks like they're trying to capture lighting in a bottle 2 years in a row. You have to imagine West Virginia and OU are going to be better than last year, and things wont be as easy for Iowa St as it was last year.

VCU insiders have insisted Iowa State also tampered with Hason Ward. He, too, got a bag from the new Cyclone booster LLC bullshit.

If it's any consolation, I think last season was Holmes after everyone figured out Holmes. He can't jump. He's 6-4 and plays 5-11. He's not a great shooter. He can't finish at the rim. He's tough and a good defender. There's 100 kids like that in the Big 12.

Eta. Yes he had some great games.OU I the NIT for example. But that became the aberration.

This transferring/staying put/draft stuff is really nothing more than a huge collective chimpout. Know it.

Pissah!

Aloha!

Last edited:
We've now had 72 hours to digest our latest portal entries and hear some rumblings about what may have transpired. To summarize what now seems like the most likely scenario (and even if you don't think so, allow yourself to entertain a not-so-crazy hypothetical):

-Adaway and Holmes make known to the staff their intentions to go pro/transfer early in the process
-0, 1, and 21 inform the staff they'd test the draft waters, but they make a strong commitment to return to SBU next year
-Players like Coulibaly and Adams then enter the portal, and the staff recruits accordingly -- under the assumption the original three would return based on their word
-Holmes enters the portal on 4/22, takes his only visit (to Iowa State) on 4/25, and his long list of P5 suitors comes out 4/26.
-The three remaining seniors obviously see this list, and are likely told by Holmes what he was set to receive via "NIL" (more accurately "Pay For Play"). Let's say, hypothetically, it was $100k vs. rumors of our own offers of $75k each for 0, 1, and 21.
-0, 1, and 21 see that Holmes would command more than they can at SBU, and knowing they'd likely make 2-4 times more elsewhere, decide to go back on their word and enter the portal just before the looming May 1 deadline instead
-The staff is blindsided by the last minute flip, having not been asked to discuss but only told after the names were in the portal. Some on the staff possibly even found out the same way we did, and the program's short-term plans and recruiting efforts appear torpedoed

If this is what happened, or something close to it, how would that change your opinion on them? When looking back at these guys a decade or more from now, what will their legacies here really be?

Honestly, I’d be salty about it for a year or two, then recognize that these guys did what we’ve always wanted every four year guy to do - pour all their effort into the program to win as many games as possible for four years. They’ve done that just about better than any group since Lanier.

Had they not played through a pandemic and graduated into war in Europe, they’d all be heading over there to make money playing ball rather than having a fifth year of eligibility.

We've now had 72 hours to digest our latest portal entries and hear some rumblings about what may have transpired. To summarize what now seems like the most likely scenario (and even if you don't think so, allow yourself to entertain a not-so-crazy hypothetical):

-Adaway and Holmes make known to the staff their intentions to go pro/transfer early in the process
-0, 1, and 21 inform the staff they'd test the draft waters, but they make a strong commitment to return to SBU next year
-Players like Coulibaly and Adams then enter the portal, and the staff recruits accordingly -- under the assumption the original three would return based on their word
-Holmes enters the portal on 4/22, takes his only visit (to Iowa State) on 4/25, and his long list of P5 suitors comes out 4/26.
-The three remaining seniors obviously see this list, and are likely told by Holmes what he was set to receive via "NIL" (more accurately "Pay For Play"). Let's say, hypothetically, it was $100k vs. rumors of our own offers of $75k each for 0, 1, and 21.
-0, 1, and 21 see that Holmes would command more than they can at SBU, and knowing they'd likely make 2-4 times more elsewhere, decide to go back on their word and enter the portal just before the looming May 1 deadline instead
-The staff is blindsided by the last minute flip, having not been asked to discuss but only told after the names were in the portal. Some on the staff possibly even found out the same way we did, and the program's short-term plans and recruiting efforts appear torpedoed

If this is what happened, or something close to it, how would that change your opinion on them? When looking back at these guys a decade or more from now, what will their legacies here really be?

I am still pissed.
I have respect for Adaway he was clear with his expectations from the end of the the season.
Holmes is starting to get in sly digs at SBU as he exits. I guess I would want to get out of town if I had the year he did.
The other three have screwed us over they backed out late and put us behind the 8 ball in recruiting for next year. Their legacy has been permanantly smeared in my eyes.

Definitely pissed at how this all played out. Adaway and Holmes are fine, seemed to make up their minds pretty quick. I really don’t know if anyone gives a shite about Cyclones basketball, but if some chatter about freeing Quadry got him that riled up, he might be in for some rough times. I would not have been pissed at all if the other 3 pursued all options right out of the gate. To do so right before the deadline is absolute bush league, they know it and we all know it.

I’ll never look at their time here quite the same. Anger will fade but there will always be an asterisk. For Holmes, remains to be seen. I’ll get over the cheap shots, but my gut tells me there was outward encouragement on his part for the other 3 to bail. Had this been handled properly and didn’t cost us a month of valuable recruitment, Id have never cared.

Fortunately there are over 1600 names in the portal + any high school interest we were looking at so there is still time I suppose.

I loved Adaway the most already so I suppose this is good validation of my judgement of his character ? Still love him.

Definitely pissed at how this all played out. Adaway and Holmes are fine, seemed to make up their minds pretty quick. I really don’t know if anyone gives a shite about Cyclones basketball, but if some chatter about freeing Quadry got him that riled up, he might be in for some rough times. I would not have been pissed at all if the other 3 pursued all options right out of the gate. To do so right before the deadline is absolute bush league, they know it and we all know it.
I’m sort not NOT fine with Holmes at this point. He’s been quite passive-aggressive on his way out the door, and a (Ravishing Rick) rude awakening looms if he gets this ruffled by a small vocal minority in our fan base.

Turn the page. We won before them and will win after them. Gotta get a couple of bigs, and, unfortunately, recruit the portal for 2-3 year players—the difference being that we won’t recruit/entice kids from lower leagues BEFORE they enter.

Back