Bonnies at Dayton Thread

Citizen X

It's a big opportunity to continue building the resume. Youth vs. experience. The match-up between Osun and the Flyers' fantastic freshman center will be fun to watch, I hope.

Dayton is easily the least likable team in the A10. VCU and SLU aren't terribly far off the mark, but the Flyers fans are really something else.

They truly think they're the flagship of the A10 and that the A10 is beneath them. Mind you Dayton has made in past the first weekend of the NCAAs once in the last 30 years! They've won the A10 regular season title four times in the past 20 years.

Not exactly Xavier, Temple or even VCU on that front...

This is the only A10 team that this group of seniors has never beaten. I would think they realize that and don't like it.

People keep complaining about our NET not making sense, and it doesnt, but to this point LaSalle in the mid 200's is our only true road game. I dont know enough about the formula to do more than speculate, but I would think that has to be a factor. Dayton is currently 83. Winn tonight and we will wonder less about what's going on with our net.

This is the only A10 team that this group of seniors has never beaten.
And that is why a victory over UD would beat out a VCU win on my excitement chart.

They're good. Sure their fans get wrapped up in being flagship 3.0, but for the most part they know basketball and are complimentary of our team when they aren't playing us. VCU fans on the other hand (save a couple) are morons with no BB knowledge because they all think it was invented in Richmond in 2011. It is nice to see them melt down though.

This is close to a must Winn. Silence the sweater vests.

And that is why a victory over UD would beat out a VCU win on my excitement chart.

They're good. Sure their fans get wrapped up in being flagship 3.0, but for the most part they know basketball and are complimentary of our team when they aren't playing us. VCU fans on the other hand (save a couple) are morons with no BB knowledge because they all think it was invented in Richmond in 2011. It is nice to see them melt down though.

This is close to a must Winn. Silence the sweater vests.
I'm not sure I've heard of any school less complimentary of Bona than Dayton. That includes VCU.

From their beat writer, David Jablowski, to their fan accounts, message boards, twitter, etc. they love to talk down to us. To them, we are still the Solomon era teams. Aside from SLU, they are the only other fan base that likes to hold onto the Welder jokes.

Do people not remember they were one of the only schools in the A10 that was advocating for our removal from the A10?

3rd, yeah I think that's a small subset of loudmouths, even the beat writer. I'm more inclined to listen to the 13,000+ that were in the arena for the FF in 2018.

Message boards and twitter are usually the worst for every fan base. Take a look at ours.

I guess it really depends on how you define it. The one twitter guy Sully for Dayton isn't very complimentary. I dont have twitter so I'm not that deep into the knowledge, but to me he just seems like he's an asshole whose whole schtick is being an asshole, and he's not very complimentary of anyone in the A10.

I disagree with the notion that they still think we're in the Solomon era. I think most of what I see and hear acknowledges us as a team who's been pretty solid in the A10 lately, which is the truth. Do they still think they're better than us? Yeah, and why shouldnt they. We dont beat them. 2-21 in the last 23 is outrageously bad. I wouldnt be a rolling out the compliment parade for a program we dominated that way, either, even if they had been relatively successful outside of games vs us.

VCU is 10,000 x worse. Their fans are utterly delusional and know nothing about basketball. Their self awareness is so lacking they would make Michael Scott, if he were real, seem in-touch and mindful. Even their players are consistently less likeable than Daytons, at least under Rhodes.

EDIT: I looked up Sully again after typing this, and saw that he had Bonablog Ian Nolan on their podcast. Forget everything I said above, fuck Dayton.

Last edited:
3rd, yeah I think that's a small subset of loudmouths, even the beat writer. I'm more inclined to listen to the 13,000+ that were in the arena for the FF in 2018.

Message boards and twitter are usually the worst for every fan base. Take a look at ours.
The fans cheering for Bona in 18 were Bona fans not UD fans. I find it annoying they took credit for helping us win. The only thing they did was not cheer for UCLA.

We had what, 4K-5K of our own fans there. It was not Flyer faithful vocally cheering for us that night.

I agree that twitter and message boards aren't the best indicator, but if SBU Unfurled was bringing up how Dayton was the worst academic school in the A10 filled with a bunch of poor kids that could barely read then I'd say it was a bad look. It's not a small account and they had a lot of traction with that tweet last year.

It wasn't like it was a late night drunk tweet that no one saw.

Sully? He never had a thought he didn't vomit out through his twitter machine. Probably exhibit A of "the worst". He may be as bad as the illustrious Ian F Nolan was (before his BB account got chased off twitter). They're cut from the same mold.

Sully? He never had a thought he didn't vomit out through his twitter machine. Probably exhibit A of "the worst". He may be as bad as the illustrious Ian F Nolan was (before his BB account got chased off twitter). They're cut from the same mold.

Blackburn Review.

Supposedly Sully doesn't run their twitter account.

Blackburn Review .. the Onion of A10 basketball. Not for the faint of heart. I've not seen his twitter but wasn't terribly offended by his SBU recon last season. He's had some funny shit in the past, Bona Commenter level previews.

Reactions: res
Yes, the "Review" is intentionally and obviously satire. Lots of swings and misses, but he occasionally puts it out of the park. I remember a picture of Sam Miller when Dayton was recruiting him. The caption was something along the lines of, "Is this the most punchable face you've ever seen?" That was prescient.

Yes, the "Review" is intentionally and obviously satire. Lots of swings and misses, but he occasionally puts it out of the park. I remember a picture of Sam Miller when Dayton was recruiting him. The caption was something along the lines of, "Is this the most punchable face you've ever seen?" That was prescient.
This was not satire. The website no longer posts stories like the ones you mentioned.

Now its 99% Trump/Anti Vax conspiracies. He went out of his way to bash Bona last year. It was not playful or joking matter.

Rarely talks about UD MBB any more.

Interesting. I haven't read it in the last four years.

This is the type of game our Bonnies have to take control of. Dayton is young, talented but also very prone to turnovers and bad shots. If the team we saw on Friday shows up, I really like their chances. If not, I feel a loss. Dayton has a few guys that can light it up from 3 but the 3 is not a huge part of their offense. I thought the Bonnies put the lid on VCU last week and they have to do that to Dayton. You can look at the numbers and see that VCU was 7/20 from 3 but when the game mattered they were not nearly that high %. They also have a lot of guys who play a lot of minutes.

VCU fans are the worst followed by SLU and then Dayton if I am making my Fans Suck power rankings.

He previewed SBU game last season, and outside of the obligatory welder joke which is old as shit, it wasn't that bad. I've never gone to his twitter but shall do so in the next couple of minutes. Maybe I'll hate him in a half an hour.

There's 2 ways to look at it. The first is, off shooting night against what's probably our worst physical matchup in the league, in a place we never win, and the worst that it really means is a lost opportunity in what'll likely be a Q1 game, of which we'll have 2 more. That's the rational way of looking at it.

The other way of looking at it is much darker, and I'll spare you the details. Unfortunately, that's the way I'm strongly leaning, and not because I'm overreacting. But because I've felt it after about half the games this year, including wins, and it's getting to the point where I can't just ignore it.

I'll just pray to St Francis, St Bonaventure, maybe even St Joseph and St Louis that I'm wrong.

There's 2 ways to look at it. The first is, off shooting night against what's probably our worst physical matchup in the league, in a place we never win, and the worst that it really means is a lost opportunity in what'll likely be a Q1 game, of which we'll have 2 more. That's the rational way of looking at it.

The other way of looking at it is much darker, and I'll spare you the details. Unfortunately, that's the way I'm strongly leaning, and not because I'm overreacting. But because I've felt it after about half the games this year, including wins, and it's getting to the point where I can't just ignore it.

I'll just pray to St Francis, St Bonaventure, maybe even St Joseph and St Louis that I'm wrong.
I dont think you are wrong. Most of us have been having the same feeling all year and its impossible to ignore. If there are any Yankee fans out there, this is exactly how last summer went. So much potential and past success and for whatever reason they fall flat on their face. Constant 1 step forward and 2 steps back. I really am hating this team like I did the Yankees all last summer and that pisses me off even more.

Lofton clearly isnt right. He doesnt drive the ball at all so I have to think his ankle is still an issue. That is what sucks the most.

Holmes for whatever reason cant hit a shot against a decent opponent. He was so lost last night I had a BonaBlog moment and yelled at the tv to take him out of the game. It got to the point I was thrilled he would get fouled because I knew there was no way he would make the shot on his own.

Welch looks lost or disinterested.

Adaway has been savior but for some reason he couldnt hit rim after a hot start and then was afraid to shoot
Shoon has been busting his ass on both ends at least.

At what point does Adams need to play more? Every time he is in the game something good happens, hes a catalyst. He is not a skilled offensive player but he turns defense into offense and scores so many transition buckets. He needs more minutes when Holmes or Welch dont have it.

I keep waiting for this team to have a "come to Jesus" moment but I just dont think its coming. Something just isnt right.

Last edited:
Back