Festivus

Jive36

After a few year hiatus we are bringing back a holiday classic, the Festivus post.

As seen below the Festivus pole has been erected and the airing of the grievances list is being double checked and hopefully will be ready for prime time tomorrow.

pole%20in%20the%20corner-small.jpg

*Disclaimer posts in this thread are intended to be tongue in cheek even if they come off as too on the nose or overly harsh.

The Airing of the Grievances – Basketball Edition

1. First Half Bonnies – we never are ready for the game to start, these guys are seniors and should know that you can’t lollygag through the first 10-20 minutes of the game and expect to win. As seniors they should realize this wont fly next year when they are in the real world where no one ever shows up to work and socialized through the first half of the day without getting anything done.
  2. Speaking of work – NIL has spoiled these guys, wasn’t getting free tuition enough now they have to be allowed to make $2 per shirt with their name on it sold at the Sports Locker. If they weren’t making all that NIL money maybe they would show up for the first half of games with some fire in their bellies.
  3. Three Point Defense – 5 years later and things are still the same (original post on the bandwagon thread). Every team we play has a guy or two turn into Steph Curry/Klay Thompson for the day. On day Coach will listen to the Twitterati and stop doubling the post and forcing turnovers and just stay home on shooters and let them make shots over our wings.
  4. On the topic of shooters – Dom Welch why doesn’t he make ever 3 he takes? He only shot 42% during conference play last year and is only a career 37%. He was a WNY prodigy he should be making waaay more shots? Maybe he should focus less on being our second best paint defender and rebounder and focus more on just being a spot up shooter.
  5. Recruiting – Coach needs to bring in more athletes we just cant compete with the P6 schools with all their length and athleticism. Its not like we have a guy with the biggest wingspan in college basketball or the fastest baseline to baseline player off the bench and until we do we will always struggle with the Clemson and Marquettes of the world.
  6. Schedule – once Northeastern canceled on us we should have called Niagara and gone up there to play. This team is soft and hasn’t been road tested yet a game against Niagara should always be on the schedule anyway what were we thinking to leave them off this year.
  7. Officiating – don’t these refs know that the Bonnies never foul and their opponents foul them on every play? I mean at some point we should just let the guys on the floor call their own fouls. At least if they called their own fouls Lofton couldn’t get T’ed up every 4th game for arguing a call three possessions after the call was made.
The Airing of the Grievances – Covid Edition – Trigger warning read on at your own risk

1. Mask and Vaccine mandates – these Franciscans are only worried about their fellow man and trying to prevent a potentially deadly pathogen from spreading. A real Franciscan is concerned with preserving all life from the smallest one celled organism to the vilest human. Which is why enforcing these unconstitutional mandates is a violation of the very principles this school was founded on.

Honestly airing Covid grievances is just depressing so I will leave it at a list of one.

Let the FEATS of Strength commence.

I already left you a compliment on the other board, but in case you don't go back: a work of art.

Still haven't worked up the fortitude to click on the thread about the Virginia Tech thrashing. Maybe I never will. It's kinda like reading the Banned Wagon, just no good for anything but a headache.

The Airing of the Grievances - ABC style.

A. 10 - how the mighty have fallen. Win some damn out of conference games, like anyone... as a conference we have amassed exactly one Q1 win. The conference has been 15 shit teams in a 10 team league. And we cant even blame injuries. Ace Baldwin is the one true star that has missed time and he played in VCU's two worst losses.

B. Before we move on the rusted 5 - talk about burning bridges on the way out. These guys better not show up back on campus for decades, how could they possibly be so inconsiderate to say they were staying then leave at the 11th hour. My only comfort is they are learning the grass isn't greener on the otherside. (Why rusted 5, because people were calling them the modern iron man 5 and what happens when iron tarnishes it rusts so i have deemed them the rusted 5).

C. People still talking about the rusted 5. Give it a rest already they are gone. Lets just be happy Schmidt didnt leave too.

D. the grade I would give Schmidt's in season coaching performance the last 15 months. A great coach with more plays than Chens in a Chinese phonebook but its so complicated you need to be a 6th year senior to understand all the nuance. Entering a season with an entirely new roster might be a good time to simplify the offense, but no we have stuck with it and that means guys can only play one position. I swear it is like the old Madden games that would only let you put QBs, Kickers and Punters on the QB depth chart.

E. is for Evans' minutes. After impressing in the early season he has fallen out of favor so that Schmidt can play 3 guards and get out rebounded each of the last three games. I just don't know what happened to valuing effort on the glass. Luc, Flowers, and Banks each average 3 boards per 40 minutes. Lofton was the only player a year ago that averaged less than 5 boards per 40. And it is not like Venning/Farell/Hill are vacuuming up all the boards we are just losing the battle for the glass.

F. Farell Foul-trouble. I feel for the kid because he is being asked to play out of position imo but we can't win games that he is in foul trouble. He needs to be on the floor and if that means playing zone to protect him so be it. Or if we did something about D we could slide him to SF at times.

F2. Free throws are FREEE. This team will lose a lot of close games as long as they are only making 68% from the stripe.

H. Hill needs to get minutes at center. At the 4 he is asked to be a floor spacer and although he shot 44% from 3 in the NEC last year he missed his first 11 threes of the year last year and is only 1 for 12 to start this season. It looks a lot like he caught fire for a 4 game stretch that skews his numbers. When he gets the ball one of three things happen, he turns it over, misses a three, or makes a two. Get him in position to shoot more 2s seems obvious and that means moving to backup big.

I. I've had enough of this bit for now but might come back for more on actual Festivus.

Back