The Bonnies: 2021-2022 Season Thread

Buenas días compañeros fanáticos de Bona. We're looking at the best Bona team in half a century, but I still look forward with a little trepidation. What can happen to fuck this up? It's a Pavlovian response after so many disappointments I guess, but I don't know shit about psychology so maybe that's not the right expression. Anyway, I did watch Mark Schmidt's interview yesterday and had three important takeaways:
(1) Coach has become an effective booster of Olean. I almost wanted to move there.
(2) Adaway has taken the biggest step up. Could he be the x-factor that puts the Bonnies up in the stratosphere of the NCAA ranks?
(3) The new guy from Pitt, whose name I won't try to spell for fear of getting it wrong, fits right in as a 4-5 backup. This is the most important missing piece that we needed.
That's it. I hope this year turns out to be the dream come true. By the way, I am back in America and the main reason is I want to see this happen.

This is behind the Athletic paywall but...

liked these quotes:
Schmidt was in his new office, doing what new coaches do — putting framed memorabilia up on the wall, mapping out roster plans on a whiteboard, whatever — when one of the St. Bonaventure players, one recruited by Schmidt’s predecessor, knocked on the door. He told Schmidt he intended to transfer. Schmidt wanted to know why. The player told Schmidt he wanted a “better social life.”

“I couldn’t kick him out of my office fast enough,” Schmidt says now. “That’s why I’m the coach! That’s why the previous staff got fired! Because you have players that are more worried about their social life than basketball.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I didn’t have one conversation with that starting five about coming back,” Schmidt said. “Not one. When you have guys that like playing together, understand what they’re playing for, they know a lot can happen if we stick together.”

“We like it here,” Lofton said. “We never wanted to take a different way out. We wanted to pave the way.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know some will not like the rehash of the past and other rhetoric but we have to remember this is a national site. Many people out there dont know our history.

Last edited:
This is behind the Athletic paywall but...

liked these quotes:
Schmidt was in his new office, doing what new coaches do — putting framed memorabilia up on the wall, mapping out roster plans on a whiteboard, whatever — when one of the St. Bonaventure players, one recruited by Schmidt’s predecessor, knocked on the door. He told Schmidt he intended to transfer. Schmidt wanted to know why. The player told Schmidt he wanted a “better social life.”

“I couldn’t kick him out of my office fast enough,” Schmidt says now. “That’s why I’m the coach! That’s why the previous staff got fired! Because you have players that are more worried about their social life than basketball.”
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“I didn’t have one conversation with that starting five about coming back,” Schmidt said. “Not one. When you have guys that like playing together, understand what they’re playing for, they know a lot can happen if we stick together.”

“We like it here,” Lofton said. “We never wanted to take a different way out. We wanted to pave the way.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know some will not like the rehash of the past and other rhetoric but we have to remember this is a national site. Many people out there dont know our history.

I thought that was a great read. As much as we may tire of the rhetoric, there's a good deal of truth behind the challenges, and we may never be able to fully shake the 'how does he do it' perception.

Like you, I enjoyed the quotes from Schmidt/Shoon/Lofton. Particularly because they reinforced the impressive self awareness these guys seem to have, that has let their success motivate them rather than distract them, or create any sense of entitlement.

I've always liked Brennan, loved his bubble watch at ESPN much more than the current version. He's thorough, and that's what makes this a good read. He doesn't reel off the 2 minute quick stats. His depth of exploring this team's journey, including the ascent in 2019 and the doomsday start the following fall, that's a rare thing in national journalism covering our team.

According to chuckie, Bonnies lost to kent st yesterday by 1. Lofton played 10 minutes and I bet other starters didnt play much. This might bode well for the bench if they can hang with kent.

According to chuckie, Bonnies lost to kent st yesterday by 1. Lofton played 10 minutes and I bet other starters didnt play much. This might bode well for the bench if they can hang with kent.
I heard we played very well early on when our main crew was in.

Also, a lot of people are saying that Chuckie is taking the next step in his literary journey and changing his nom de plume to Charles E. Maggio.

(2) Adaway has taken the biggest step up. Could he be the x-factor that puts the Bonnies up in the stratosphere of the NCAA ranks?
I have to agree that Adaway could be the most important, non-obvious reason that this team will return to or exceed last year's successes. He's often described as the hardest worker on the team, is probably the most athletic, and in my opinion the most pro-ready.

I've been saying this to anyone within earshot these days: I wouldn't be surprised if he's our leading scorer this season. I'm sure the preseason A-10 voting results give him an extra chip on his shoulder.

That's a bummer about the ankle sprain for Jalen. To get psyched for the coming season, I watched some video of the A10 tournament. Adaway is just a remarkable player. The only thing he lacked last year was a consistent shot from range. It is really difficult to pick a favorite from the returning starters, but if a decision is required I would have to go with Adaway. I love watching him confound the hell out of opponents to get a good shot and, as West End mentioned, you have got to love his dedication.

Reports coming in from the outskirts of Mt Iraneus that ankle gate part 2, featuring a season opening game vs a MAAC rival, in a year with high expectations, and a senior named Jalen is all too familiar to be coincidence. Source skeller6 believes vaccinations may have played a role. All claims are being investigated and taken seriously at this time.

I had to look up the name and then I saw his photo.... is he still reining terror on campus or only in the less sticky chapters of chuckie's erotic novels?

I had to look up the name and then I saw his photo.... is he still reining terror on campus or only in the less sticky chapters of chuckie's erotic novels?
Uhhhh… do you mean Charles? His editor is even suggesting “C.E. Maggio” as a final nom de plume.

Agree with his editor. Skip right over the formal Charles phase. He's ready for initials, and delaying the inevitable start of that is just wasting everyone's time.

I have 3 seats for sale for Siena on Tuesday. They are in Section 9 Row O for $22 per. Just looking to cover costs. Let me know if you or anyone you know is interested.

I also have 2 seats tonight if anyone wants them. Free to a good home.

Back