The Bonnies: 2020-2021 Season Thread

La Salle is like a cop that breaks up kids skateboarding at the town hall.

Provides no service to the community (A10), but ruins all the fun for the kids (A10 bubbles).

Somehow the Explorers are a Q4 as it stands right now.
AEAB - All Explorers Are Bastards

(except The Gola Standard)

As long as there are no stipulations on winning percentages, such as achieving a certain winning percentage in conference, or considering winning percentages vs the Quadrants, all such metrics are inevitably in favor of the power.

There's examples every year. Do you want to talk about a team who wins 4 games against Quandrant 1? Or do you want to talk about that same team who won 4 and lost 11 vs Q1 in terms of their .266 winning percentage?
To bring it back to this for a moment: Kentucky is 5-11, has lost five of six after starting the season 1-6, and is still just one spot behind us on KenPom. Duke is 7-7, their best win at home against #47 Clemson, and are all the way up at #35.

Bonnies will head to VCU for some FridA10 action.

TeamSheetFeb7.png

Here's an updated team sheet. The A10 really gave us (and VCU) a great resume-building opportunity by adding a second game between us.

This is not really related to the Bonnies, but could impact us down the road.

Imagine winning at ND 8-10 who has ONE win over a team with a winning record, and there is your QUAD ONE WIN! Meanwhile, Bona goes on the road to play 14-4 VCU, and a win there would hold the same weight.

I get that the committee says they look at record against the field, but man that's wild. Teams that are beating Duke, ND and Kentucky like a drum are getting Q1 wins out of that.

This is not really related to the Bonnies, but could impact us down the road.

Imagine winning at ND 8-10 who has ONE win over a team with a winning record, and there is your QUAD ONE WIN! Meanwhile, Bona goes on the road to play 14-4 VCU, and a win there would hold the same weight.

I get that the committee says they look at record against the field, but man that's wild. Teams that are beating Duke, ND and Kentucky like a drum are getting Q1 wins out of that.
We need to be careful not to take things in absolutes. It is valid that a win at Duke is the same as a win at Gonzaga in terms of being Q1 but the quadrants are a sorting tool and nothing more. The teams you beat matter. If you look at 2 teams with 4-4 Q1 records you are going to dive in and see who those wins and losses were against. The over all NET number is taking this in effect as well. Those same 2 teams could be 15 spots apart in NET. There are other metrics like SOR which should sort those out too.

They also break Q1 and Q2 into sub groups so the win at Gonzaga will stand out more than the win at Duke.
1612974663228.png

Plus every committee does things their own way so I wouldnt worry too much about it. Winn and it wont matter.

Yes, this season in particular is a time where wise heads will be needed on that committee. I actually think that SLU is the strongest team in the A10, but here is a fact that makes defending that view rather problematic: they have played a grand total of two road games this year and lost both. Maybe that's just deceptive anecdotal evidence, but where you win is supposedly an important criterion in the selection process. Anyway, I hope we get a rematch in the RC and get to test their roadworthiness.

It is time for Kyle Lofton to grow up. I love him as a player and appreciate his junkyard dog mentality. However, it is well past time that he act like a leader and stop with the bullshit technicals and frustration fouls. Against VCU his inability to maintain composure really hurt the team at the end of the first half. He has been behaving this way since his frosh year. No excuse for it to continue. At the end of the VCU game he was seen shouting at Bones Hyland who was smirking at him. Lofton is too talented and important to continue to lose his shit during the heat of the moment.

Last edited:
He just has to be better at not making it so obvious and getting caught with the retaliation crap. If Bones is going to act like a bitch with all his grabbing and yapping, I have no issues with Kyle bringing the smoke.

The subject of how to manage players with two fouls has gotten a lot of ink from Kenpom. He tracks "two foul participation" or the number of minutes a player with two fouls in the first half plays after getting the second foul. Currently, the Bonnies rank #57 in Division I. We have an obvious problem here, since our only bench player the coach gives many minutes is AJ, who gets to play 35% of the available minutes. Shaw has shown some nice minutes, but he fouls at the rate of 9.3 per 40 minutes and has the highest turnover rate on the team. I don't know how you manage this other than the Dutch uncle talk to players in practice. I have observed, however, with no empirical data to back it up, that some of our key players have a tendency to pick up a quick second foul on those days when the first one comes early. Should they be pulled immediately after Foul #1 and sit for a few minutes to get their heads screwed on right? I would probably try it, but I am just a fan and therefore have the advantage of not having my livelihood depend upon such tactics.
On this same topic, it was interesting to see the Bonnies go small when Osun fouled out. We didn't do badly for that brief stint, but I don't know how long that lineup could endure an extensive period against a quality opponent like VCU.

The subject of how to manage players with two fouls has gotten a lot of ink from Kenpom. He tracks "two foul participation" or the number of minutes a player with two fouls in the first half plays after getting the second foul. Currently, the Bonnies rank #57 in Division I. We have an obvious problem here, since our only bench player the coach gives many minutes is AJ, who gets to play 35% of the available minutes. Shaw has shown some nice minutes, but he fouls at the rate of 9.3 per 40 minutes and has the highest turnover rate on the team. I don't know how you manage this other than the Dutch uncle talk to players in practice. I have observed, however, with no empirical data to back it up, that some of our key players have a tendency to pick up a quick second foul on those days when the first one comes early. Should they be pulled immediately after Foul #1 and sit for a few minutes to get their heads screwed on right? I would probably try it, but I am just a fan and therefore have the advantage of not having my livelihood depend upon such tactics.
On this same topic, it was interesting to see the Bonnies go small when Osun fouled out. We didn't do badly for that brief stint, but I don't know how long that lineup could endure an extensive period against a quality opponent like VCU.
Totally agree, especially with OO. Seems like that 2nd foul is only a few minutes behind the first. Probably doesn’t actually happen as often as I think it does, but it is maddening.

My group of friends has been endlessly frustrated by the foul management under Schmidt. The guy runs such a good program, but still has these little foibles that drive us nuts (the aforementioned issue, load management *that’s what she said*, et cetera).

If one of your main guys picks up a quick foul, SIT HIM! Even if it’s only for a minute or two of game time, it lets the kid settle down, watch the flow and pace, and think for a bit. This is especially true for bigs. Coach didn’t do this for Nicholson or Ndoye, and he’s certainly not doing it with Osun.

Out of curiosity, why did we choose to travel all the way to Cleveland just to play Akron in a neutral site?

I'm not sure if it matters a ton, but if Akron finishes in the 60s or 70s it would be a Q2 win instead of Q1.

Out of curiosity, why did we choose to travel all the way to Cleveland just to play Akron in a neutral site?

I'm not sure if it matters a ton, but if Akron finishes in the 60s or 70s it would be a Q2 win instead of Q1.
Neutral 51-100 is Q2. Away 1-75 is Q1 and they currently sit at 82 so right now they are Q2 in either case. Good question though as beating them ont he road would have been better.

Neutral 51-100 is Q2. Away 1-75 is Q1 and they currently sit at 82 so right now they are Q2 in either case. Good question though as beating them ont he road would have been better.
For sure, I just don't get why you'd travel out there for it to be a neutral game. At first, I thought it was to get 1,500- 2,000 people in the stands, but not the case.

Re: Lofton. Good player but has not progressed. He is not even close to all A10 now--just look at the other guards in the league and Bones is latest to outplay him. Appreciate him but best not to overrate him (which also overrates the team). Lot of work to do for both. The technical and stupid fouls hurt. The horrid trey pct. is just one factor.

Am I taking crazy pills? Lofton is a cold-blooded murderer out there. The kid does ALL of the things you want your PG to do: lead, defend consistently, take care of the ball, get others involved, and even finishes exceptionally well from 18 feet and in. Top that off with him being a tough ass competitor who is beloved by coaches and teammates, and there probably isn't an A10 guard for whom I'd trade Kyle Lofton.

I wouldn't trade him. He's always had a chip and it is part of his reputation now but I'll live with that. His FT and 3-pt shooting has been off, but as BR said, 18' and in, he has an exceptional shot. I think the phantom push off while dribbling last Friday was yet another hose job in a game full of them. He and his jersey had a night full of tugging, they could have called foul on VCU almost every time he brought the ball up court, then they finally blow the whistle and you figured "about time" and NO.. it was Lofton that got a push off? I would excuse anything and everything that kid did against VCU because he was flat raped all night.

Are we playing a game tomorrow? I've heard nothing since Fordham was potentially going on pause.

If there's a COVD outbreak at Fordham, not sure it would be wise for them to play us in Olean.

Back