Spiders Stumble at VCU

adaisey

Lack of Energy Hurts Spiders
RICHMOND, VA —
The Richmond Spiders were defeated by VCU in the 1st of 2 meetings this season by a score of 87-68.  This game felt eerily similar to the Dayton loss a few days ago.  Richmond hung around in the 1st half, but had another slow start to the final frame.  It’s hard to win conference games, especially in a hostile environment when you don’t piece a solid 40 minutes together.  Bones Hyland was the star for the Rams, as he went 5-6 from deep, scoring 15 on the night.  Grant Golden had a much better game offensively than he did vs the Flyers, as he scored 24 in the Richmond loss.  VCU came into this one shooting 34.8% from deep, but decided to get hot tonight. The Rams went 10-21 from deep, which was ultimately Richmond’s downfall.
Slow Starts
As I referenced earlier, this game felt just like the Dayton game.  Richmond gives up a lot without scoring a lot to start the game as well as starting the 2nd half.  For a game that was tied at the half...

Continue reading...

Tough loss there. I don't think VCU would shoot that well if you played that game 10 more times, but Richmond still got outplayed and couldn't find anything on offense.

Without Francis and with Sherrod tossing up essentially a goose egg, the hill for Richmond to climb was too steep. Golden was golden and Cayo tried but Gilyard was all alone against VCU's stable of athletic guards. Mooney has no bench to begin with and the loss of Francis thrusts role players into major roles that I don't think they are equipped for. Can't wait for the rematch across town.

Back