2022 Offseason Thread

I need to chime in on the "Cult" thing. What I think is cool about the "Cult" label is that it grew from an honest comment made by Schmidt, and it fits very well our fan base. It wasn't created by some branding consultant. Nothing to run from, in my opinion.

I was going to sarcastically suggest that maybe "Bona Nation" would be the right way to go for the branding since that would be "unique", and not overdone in the least, but I see a prolific poster on the Bandwagon has already offered up that suggestion (probably not sarcastically though).

Maybe it's just me, but I run from anything cliche, including black uniforms with only the trim showing the school's colors and the erzatz NBA light shows everyone seems to have adopted now during team introductions (including to my chagrin SBU). I just don't see the need to be just like "Generic State U."

I need to chime in on the "Cult" thing. What I think is cool about the "Cult" label is that it grew from an honest comment made by Schmidt, and it fits very well our fan base. It wasn't created by some branding consultant. Nothing to run from, in my opinion.

I was going to sarcastically suggest that maybe "Bona Nation" would be the right way to go for the branding since that would be "unique", and not overdone in the least, but I see a prolific poster on the Bandwagon has already offered up that suggestion (probably not sarcastically though).

Maybe it's just me, but I run from anything cliche, including black uniforms with only the trim showing the school's colors and the erzatz NBA light shows everyone seems to have adopted now during team introductions (including to my chagrin SBU). I just don't see the need to be just like "Generic State U."
Tell that to the athletics marketing department at SBU. Some of those folks just want to mimic the latest gaudy trends rather than embracing and doubling down upon our simple, yet bold identity. Brown and White, guys. No looney fonts or number styles. Keep it sharp and traditional. That’s us. Look around at our baseball (and some other sports’) uniforms. They’re a disgrace and look like jerseys for a Las Vegas area fast pitch softball league.

Edit to add: No need to run away from the “cult” label. It’s clearly tongue-in-cheek, and as ‘85 has posted, there are multiple sub-definitions of the word. As a bonus, we could add this awesome track for the fan base’s theme song:

Last edited:
Tell that to the athletics marketing department at SBU. Some of those folks just want to mimic the latest gaudy trends rather than embracing and doubling down upon our simple, yet bold identity. Brown and White, guys. No looney fonts or number styles. Keep it sharp and traditional. That’s us. Look around at our baseball (and some other sports’) uniforms. They’re a disgrace and look like jerseys for a Las Vegas area fast pitch softball league.
I understand that the need for "marketing" is what's behind all this. That's why I thought I needed to say I will not be on board with any of the "me too" crap. Even if it's only seen by you folks.

As I recall from my Marketing 101 (Prof Kaminsky I believe - known to my floor mates as the F** F****** P***), you define your product with the 4 Ps: Pricing, Promotion, Packaging and Placement. Well, our place is not Las Vegas, or any large metro area for that matter. If it was, we should leave the RC behind and contract to play in Rochester or Buffalo. I think Schmidt works at SBU because he gets it.

I know Athletics needs to raise serious cash to compete. It's a tragedy to lose your identity as the price.

I believe the conference pairings are going to be announced today or sometime this week. The conference schedule will be 4 home and homes and 5 away/home only games.

I believe the conference pairings are going to be announced today or sometime this week. The conference schedule will be 4 home and homes and 5 away/home only games.
Expect a pretty tough road slate, but plenty of opportunities to compile RC wins…

Back