Bonnies vs. Hokies (Fri. 12/17/21 at 4:00 pm)

This VT game will likely be our only Q1 game that is not played on the road. We really need the next two and in all honesty, four of the next five.

@Dayton, @Richmond, @VCU and @SLU are most likely our only Q1 games remaining during the regular season and even those aren't guarantee Q1s at the moment.

A Hokie loss wouldn't sink us by any means, but it would help us work our back to a single digit seed, which would help us get a game in Buffalo or Pittsburgh instead of San Diego or Tel Aviv.

As of right this second, we have 2 Q1 games on the schedule: VT and @SLU. However I expect @VCU to become Q1 as they are right on the edge now so you are correct there. We need Dayton and Richmond to jump up 20 spots in NET for them to be Q1 road games. Its not out of the question.

If you like looking ahead, I have found it hard to see a scenario where we get to play in Pittsburgh or Buffalo. In order to do so we would have to get a 6 seed or better. If we are in the 8-9 range, there are no 1 seeds that would play there under any circumstance and Villanova is the only 2 seed that would get one of those (I assume Pittsburgh). So we would really need a 6 to have a shot at playing at those sites. If the team does its job, a 5 or 6 is realistic. If they dont, get ready to travel. Here is how the sites can play out. They definitely slot the 1 and 2 seeds to their closest site

Fort Worth - Baylor, Alabama or Kansas or Houston
Milwaukee - Kansas?, Iowa St?
Indianapolis - Purdue Iowa St?, Ohio St?
Buffalo - Ohio St? UConn?
Pittsburgh - Villanova
Greenville - Duke
Portland - Gonzaga
San Diego - Arizona, UCLA

Its still early as alot of dust needs to settle but to me this VT game is huge. Reading CEM's article, it sounds like the players are revved up for this one so I am expecting a W.

Last edited:
The Pittsburgh/Buffalo thing is too early for me with how much can shift, but this game is definitely huge as it relates to our ceiling. Obviously, we need to accomplish what we want to accomplish in A10 play. But assuming we do, grabbing this win could change the conversation in 10 weeks from now from bubble watching to seed watching.

I'd rather us play in Dayton than get the 8/9 matchup or even 7/10 for that matter.

I know at the moment, we don't have a lot of Q1s on the schedule, but if we have some luck with those top A10 teams winning, we could have a bunch by year's end. Unfortunately, they'd all be on the road.

It all starts with a win today. This should be a de facto home game with all the alums we have in the Charlotte area.

It all starts with a win today. This should be a de facto home game with all the alums we have in the Charlotte area.
Perhaps. It's an easy 2.5 hour drive from Blacksburg to Charlotte though so we'll see what they get. I'm pretty sure they're already on break so there will be few if any students. Half the campus will be back in NOVA and 2/3 of the remainder in Richmond or Norfolk.

Clemson wasnt far from Charleston and we had no problem drowning them out.

So I missed the first half, caught the score on my phone and didn’t bother watching at all. What on earth happened today? How did Kyle look?

Lofton clearly was not ready. He had no explosion of the the injured ankle. I am mostly pissed at the lack of fight and urgency from the team. Quadry was the only one who gave 100% until the end.

Back