Bonnies vs. UNI (Sat. 11/27/21 at 2:00)

Ugh weird game. 88% from the line, not awful from 3, only 5 turnovers. Usually we can pencil in a win, no?

Haven't seen a shooting performance like that against us in a long time. That sucked but what can you do? Stomp coppin st

Shoon has gotta stop crying to the refs every time a call doesn’t go his way. Been doing it all season.

The bunny layup he missed was bad enough. But then to completely give up on the ball while one of UNI’s 6’ white guys grabs the rebound while his back is to the ball because he’s pleading with the ref for a foul whistle was unforgivable and should’ve put him on the bench for the rest of the game.

He followed up that performance by kicking the ball and rightfully drawing a kicked ball whistle. Shoon was apoplectic… just couldn’t believe the ref called that even though he CLEARLY KICKED THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THE BALL.

You wanna be a big man in the NBA? Grow up. Looked like a big baby.

Well, that sucked. I think Mobley established the Bona record for the most 3-pointers in a game with 9 in defeating Richmond in the A10 tourney of 2018. AJ Green matched that and I am assuming that's the worst anyone has ever burned us from beyond the arc. I hope we never see anything like it from an opponent again, and certainly not in this season.

Reminds me of the time Anthony Lamb, who grew up living in the double porch house in Allegany, went into the Hickey dining hall during the game against Vermont a few years ago and ate our team's lunch right off their meal trays. Rumor was he was seen after the game sledding in the cemetery on one of the same trays.

Sorry that I am echoing some previous points, but I screamed about 2 things continuously yesterday 1) Bona's defense did not match at all with what UNI was executing, and 2) Shoon's performance was among the most lacking that I can remember seeing from him.

On the first item, I believe Schmidt got outcoached, although I do not discount the impact of the guys not thinking they were going to have a real game on their hands since other aspects of the game seemed consistent with that being the case. Where in Charleston, our guys ran to every loose ball, there were too many times that no one seemed interested in doing that yesterday.

On the second, their big owned Shoon on offense and effectively neutralized Shoon on rebounds. Also, Shoon did not have the moves nor the shot to post up on him.

I'm left to wonder what Schmidt emphasized and practiced leading up to this game. The game plan just didn't seem to fit the opponent at all.

Reminds me of the time Anthony Lamb, who grew up living in the double porch house in Allegany, went into the Hickey dining hall during the game against Vermont a few years ago and ate our team's lunch right off their meal trays. Rumor was he was seen after the game sledding in the cemetery on one of the same trays.
And if you ever take a look at what Verbal Commits has to say, they still post Lamb's 42-point performance against us as the most current of the "Latest Bonnies Headlines." Not that this is in any way relevant to this thread, but I just couldn't resist mentioning:

That was a microcosm of everything we've ever bitched about Schmidt for 15 years. Poor perimeter D, no in game adjustment to shut down player scorching the earth, horrific opening to 2nd half, let up on the gas after monster comeback. He was outcoached for sure. It happens 1 every 20 games and is so painful when it happens. This was that painful Ark state school game from 44s senior year.

Ultimately the decisions stop at Schmidt, but I wonder which of the assistants was assigned the scouting and prep for UNI.

This was that painful Ark state school game from 44s senior year.

You don't need to look back that far. What we witnessed Saturday was essentially 2018 Davidson, a team we really should have lost to 3 times.

The final 3 minutes of half one, where Green scored 17 on us, defined the final outcome of the game. Coincidentally, in our 2018 win vs Davidson, if Stockard didnt explode for 17 in a few minutes in the first half, we probably dont get the cushion we needed to avoid losing in regulation. That loss probably sends us to the NIT if it happens.

UNI yesterday reminded me a lot of that Davidson squad, in a micro sense. A long, unshakable Green burying 3's at will. A disciplined and crisp supporting offense, who stepped in to fill any voids left by times we could contain Green. A team overall that, when clicking, is a solid team that is unrecognizable compared to earlier ugly losses. A team whose entire offensive approach is one which, we frankly don't matchup well against.

Small solace can be taken in the fact it's a common happening in the sport- every year in the NCAAT, teams that play UNI's brand of basketball force "better" teams to fall prey to their style.

We are at our best when we beautifully synchronize attacking of the hoop and patience within our sets. The extra pass, the patience to attack the openings and get to the rim, and to the free throw line. We are at our best defensively when we dont just man up, we get hands in faces and disrupt the passing lanes, forcing bad decisions, bad shots, and turnovers, and push in transition off of those. We did none of that in the first half.

In other words, as others have alluded to - we're at our best when we up the intensity, and we seem at times to wait until it's "oh shit!" time to kick it to that gear. When we don't wait- and do that from the jump- we get efforts like what we saw vs Marquette.

I dont know what the answer to this recurring issue is, other than to hope that losing this game we 'weren't suppose to lose' wakes us up, so that the norm becomes the Marquete style of play and intensity, from here on out.

Last edited:
Shoon has gotta stop crying to the refs every time a call doesn’t go his way. Been doing it all season.

The bunny layup he missed was bad enough. But then to completely give up on the ball while one of UNI’s 6’ white guys grabs the rebound while his back is to the ball because he’s pleading with the ref for a foul whistle was unforgivable and should’ve put him on the bench for the rest of the game.

He followed up that performance by kicking the ball and rightfully drawing a kicked ball whistle. Shoon was apoplectic… just couldn’t believe the ref called that even though he CLEARLY KICKED THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THE BALL.

You wanna be a big man in the NBA? Grow up. Looked like a big baby.
You nailed it. Complains at every call without fail.

Another issue with OO. It seems whenever he puts the ball on the floor, he doesn't score, but when he gets it and goes right up with it, he scores at a higher clip.

I've been waiting for his offensive game to evolve or improve, but I don't think it's ever going to happen. That matchup with Mballa will be tough.

Shoon made a good leap last year over his first two years, in that he went from non-existent offense to where he is now. The hooks, simple drop-step bank layups, catch and score, catch and draw the foul, going strong to the rim. All a lot better the last 2 years, but definitely doesnt have any of that next level in his arsenal. I thought by now he'd have some more intricate back to the basket or faceup moves, and at least something of a mid range, but none of that's there.

Don't get me wrong, I still think Shoon is the biggest difference-maker on our team and the most important key to success. But giving up on a play to argue for a whistle that wasn't even close is gonna sit with me for a while. Hard to root for a guy who looks like he spent the summer at the Dan Hurley School of Bitching and Moaning.

There's always going to be a lot to dissect after a horrible loss. I think the attitudes have to dial back from both extremes, whether it's pouting to refs or flexing after every damn 3 pointer (I mean.. flexing for doing your job?) It's so cliche but act like you've been there. Because they have been there. Be business-like and get the job done. I like excitement as much as the next guy, but the teams' antics are drawing attention.. the "let's beat the shit outta these guys" kind of attention.

There's always going to be a lot to dissect after a horrible loss. I think the attitudes have to dial back from both extremes, whether it's pouting to refs or flexing after every damn 3 pointer (I mean.. flexing for doing your job?) It's so cliche but act like you've been there. Because they have been there. Be business-like and get the job done. I like excitement as much as the next guy, but the teams' antics are drawing attention.. the "let's beat the shit outta these guys" kind of attention.

I could not disagree more. This team has taken on the personality of their leader & captain Kyle Lofton. He is a firey & emotional player and it has spread to his teammates. That style of play is what elevated this team from 4-10 in Jan of 2019 for example to where we are now.

When they are locked in is when they play their best. When they are robots out there, like you are asking for, is when they lose focus. Losing focus like giving up 17 points in row to close out the 1st half on a lazy saturday afternoon.

as for the target on their back? That comes with winning no matter what. Teams are always going to want to beat the shit outta the no.16 team in the country

I'm not sure I asked for robots, I just would like them to act like they've been there. They should be excited and I like that. But when it means you miss your man for a quick break because you're whining to the ref about not calling a bump on the previous drive? Or late on D because you're flexing to the bench after a 3 pointer? Have fun. I want them to play like they did during the 26-7 run against UNI. There wasn't time for excess bullshit, and it was about the best they've looked all year. Bottle that up and beat the crap out of teams.

Well, it appears that the team really shit the bed against UNI. Perhaps a collective, bowel cleansing Level 1 shart would correct the problem. Refreshing! is what's needed.

Pissah!

Aloha!

Back