The Bonnies: 2021-2022 Season Thread

Community Bank 3Pt Tee

In light of today's transfer news, I thought kicking off discussion in a new thread with an eye toward next year was most fitting.

There's a lot of reaction on this, but it changes little for me. I loved having a relatively capable backup big to Osun in Shaw, but it wasn't realistic that he was going to be content sitting behind a 30-35 MPG all-conference player. You could argue he deserved 8-10 minutes a night instead of 4-5, and you probably wouldn't be wrong. Something tells me that extra 5 minutes wouldn't have been a difference maker for his decision.

As far as AJ, he seemed like a fun-loving guy and gelled with his team. He brought us energy and spark that we needed sometimes. Whether he deserved more minutes or not seemed to be a bit of a flash point for fans from what I observed online, and in actual conversations with other fans. I'm in the camp that believes he more or less played an appropriate amount. Maybe a few more second half minutes throughout the year, to give guys breathers, was warranted. By and large, there was reason for his being yanked most times. I interpreted his leash to be measured not so much by the fact he made mistakes, but the frequency with which he repeated the same mistakes.

One of the takeaways from last Saturday was, we need a little more help. That meant one of two things- either AJ took a massive leap in the off-season, or we brought in guys who would have been directly competing with him for his minutes, with the ability to make an even greater impact than him immediately. The latter was the more likely of the two, and the result would have been stagnancy at best in AJ's minutes.

The 6'8" slasher and 6'4" 3 Pt/all around scorer voids left by Winston and Roberts are still our two greatest needs, with or without AJ. I genuinely wish AJ well. From strictly a basketball standpoint, though- he's a raw talent who brought occasional bursts of good play in his 10-15 MPG. On paper, I'm confident an incoming freshmen will be able to replace that.

I don't want to get into this right now. I'm quite sure the coaching staff will identify the right recruits to fill our needs for another great season. As for me, I bought a nice retreat down in Mexico a few months ago and am just waiting to file my taxes to bug out, get down there and ignore the world for a while. If I come back on here before October, please tell me to fuck off and get back to finishing those other projects I've been neglecting. It's been a great season. Everyone stay well and keep the faith in our Bonnies! Amen.

I'm not ready for 21-22 discussion yet either, except to say that 10 of the 14 A10 victories this season were by double digits, and another by 9. And in the one horrific loss to SLU our starters were so gassed in the 2nd half they could barely hit front rim on a jumper. I think AJ was a 20 minute a night guy and if given the opportunity in those double digits wins, or in a spot like SLU when it was clear we needed fresh legs, he would have proven that out. Winston was electric, good and bad, but you just don't get that skill set in that size. It's all moot now.

Wake up citizen X when we know we won't be scouting intramurals at the Richter to fill out 2023's roster.

Okay, my bad. You're 100% right. It's too early for nitty-gritty next year talk. Mostly, I wanted to express that I wasn't overly concerned about our ability to recover from yesterday's news. X's 2nd sentence conveys that thought a lot more succinctly than the manifesto I wrote above. Buen viaje X.

I'm not ready for 21-22 discussion yet either, except to say that 10 of the 14 A10 victories this season were by double digits, and another by 9. And in the one horrific loss to SLU our starters were so gassed in the 2nd half they could barely hit front rim on a jumper. I think AJ was a 20 minute a night guy and if given the opportunity in those double digits wins, or in a spot like SLU when it was clear we needed fresh legs, he would have proven that out. Winston was electric, good and bad, but you just don't get that skill set in that size. It's all moot now.

Wake up citizen X when we know we won't be scouting intramurals at the Richter to fill out 2023's roster.
Based on the week's events, I am now ready for this discussion.

A lot of people don't realize, or have forgotten, how insanely close most college basketball teams are in abilities and performance. Take this year. Bona currently sits 32nd in kenpom and I doubt the remaining three games will affect that. But had Bona gotten one more midrange jumper per game and been able to prevent, say, one opposition put back per game, Bona would be sitting around 8th.

Now, one extra bucket and one extra stop every game is harder than it sounds. Nonetheless, this is what you're asking the newcomers to do. Assuming, and it's a big if, there is no fall off in the performance of this year's starters and no significant injuries, that's all you need to be a Top 10 team.

If Coulibaly's presence can mean four points -- I don't care on which end of the floor -- next year will be very special.

Our only problem will be waiting until November.

Yep, my bad res. I've been watching and am really excited about next season. We have got some very high quality new guys and several open seats left. I'll be watching. They don't call this the worldwide web for nothin'. Hasta luego!

...and someone has to make up for AJ, I left that out.

Our only problem will be waiting until November.

Ahh, and there is why Bona's season is perfectly timed. Pretty soon summer will keep basketball as a distant memory. Our boys come in just as the days grow painfully short, and ramp it up to conference play when the holiday buzz is gone, and the reality of January is there to meet you. Our guys make winter worthwhile.

Echoing what Bill said in the recruiting thread, so far the staff is filling these open ships as perfectly as you could of asked of them. The 3 de facto Frosh can contribute in as-needed bits, without being too distraught over lack of time. They'll be learning behind some pretty good guys, too. I hope/expect that one of the remaining spots is a transfer with clear offensive pop.

I don't really expect the final scholarship to be filled, as per tradition.

Yeah for the record, I would like to see it filled. A thought I keep coming back to with the open ship is Alpha. Great teammate and guy who seems to contribute to practice, but at this point it's pretty obvious there are no long term plans which include Alpha playing meaningful minutes. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to leave one open, while one is taken up by a guy you have no real plans for. Knowing that Alpha's role will be what it is, fill that last one.

Yeah for the record, I would like to see it filled. A thought I keep coming back to with the open ship is Alpha. Great teammate and guy who seems to contribute to practice, but at this point it's pretty obvious there are no long term plans which include Alpha playing meaningful minutes. It doesn't make a ton of sense to me to leave one open, while one is taken up by a guy you have no real plans for. Knowing that Alpha's role will be what it is, fill that last one.
Creal, too. They are both great teammates who work hard, but there just aren’t enough minutes at that position.

I would fill all 13 every year... without exception. Too much uncertainty today, as we saw with Winston and Roberts bolting early on.

Creal is in the portal. Cant blame him as I dont see him getting many minutes next year.

Reactions: res
Creal is in the portal. Cant blame him as I dont see him getting many minutes next year.
I guess. At what point, though, does a kid get some decent advice? Where are you going, Eddie? If you're miserable, then fine. God bless. However, is transferring at this point in your career going to get you to the NBA? Did Eddie's game remind you of someone who will have a lucrative European career? Get your degree first. If you have eligibility left, then by all means, sow your wild oats to the tune of about 10-15 mpg in the Horizon or Summit League.

He might be making a mistake, Bill, but who knows? The kid just wants to play, I suspect. Let's not kid ourselves, not all these kids are primarily concerned about the academic side of things. Nor, in many cases, are their institutions.

He might be making a mistake, Bill, but who knows? The kid just wants to play, I suspect. Let's not kid ourselves, not all these kids are primarily concerned about the academic side of things. Nor, in many cases, are their institutions.
Oh, totally. I get that, but doesn’t anyone ever step in and tell a kid like this, who’s probably a year away from graduating, to stick it out one more season to ensure that diploma? Then you can go elsewhere to try to get yours.

In an interview with his hometown paper about the 20-21 season, Adaway concludes by saying the RC is getting some renovations.
“They’re doing some renovating to our gym just getting it ready for next season. So hopefully we’ll see this place sold out quite a few games next year.”

Does anyone have any insight on those changes?

In an interview with his hometown paper about the 20-21 season, Adaway concludes by saying the RC is getting some renovations.
“They’re doing some renovating to our gym just getting it ready for next season. So hopefully we’ll see this place sold out quite a few games next year.”

Does anyone have any insight on those changes?

I remember seeing a list somewhere of things they wanted to do and replacing the Red seats was one of them. I have no idea if that is what they are doing. I think BR posted it somewhere.

Back