Bonnies @ Davidson (Wed. 02/24/21 at 5:00 pm)

Yesterday's game showed again how terrible the bench is--and I've criticized Schmidt myself for not using them more--but only on those several games when he could have done so when we were up 15 points or near the end, and he fails to do it. But I'd bet virtually every other major team in the country would have had one, two, three inserted in game (or more) if they were going through our fade out in the 2nd half. But Schmidt couldn't or wouldn't trust anyone. On merit. The faith some have in calling for more time for Vazquez is bewildering. He is almost always a liability. Yesterday he was in for 3 minutes--did nothing and then went for a steal, missed, leading to an easy lay in--then 30 seconds later blew coverage and allowed another layup--and fouled. Gave up 5 points on his own in less than a minute. And got quickly yanked before he could throw up two bricks, and never returned. And if you want to say--"instant offense"--well, he Is shooting 23% on the year now. That number does not lie.

Yesterday's game showed again how terrible the bench is--and I've criticized Schmidt myself for not using them more--but only on those several games when he could have done so when we were up 15 points or near the end, and he fails to do it. But I'd bet virtually every other major team in the country would have had one, two, three inserted in game (or more) if they were going through our fade out in the 2nd half. But Schmidt couldn't or wouldn't trust anyone. On merit. The faith some have in calling for more time for Vazquez is bewildering. He is almost always a liability. Yesterday he was in for 3 minutes--did nothing and then went for a steal, missed, leading to an easy lay in--then 30 seconds later blew coverage and allowed another layup--and fouled. Gave up 5 points on his own in less than a minute. And got quickly yanked before he could throw up two bricks, and never returned. And if you want to say--"instant offense"--well, he Is shooting 23% on the year now. That number does not lie.
Come on man. Get some vitamin D in your life or something. Bench has been a problem all year. Didn't help that two guys transferred out.

I'm willing to put a little trust in a guy who's gone 117-47 since 2015.

Come on man. Get some vitamin D in your life or something. Bench has been a problem all year. Didn't help that two guys transferred out.

I'm willing to put a little trust in a guy who's gone 117-47 since 2015.
Hey, maybe you need the Vitamin D. How do you read what I wrote as a knock on Schmidt. I was pointing out that this was probably the most obvious game all year where no bench was apparent and nearly crucial. I was also noting that the one player some point to as a plus and should get more time is not ever the answer. My only knock on Schmidt was not giving a little time to bench when with big lead or near end, to save legs. Not too late for that.

Greg, you can't ignore the Sunday game vs. Davidson if you're going to point out that AJ looked out of sorts Wednesday. It was obvious to anyone watching the game that the times he was in on Sunday that he played well enough. His defense has improved. He had a key offensive rebound, he drove and drew a foul (instead of flying over the endline with a wild prayer that caroms off the backboard). His shooting, yes, it's been awful. You know who else shot awful for a while this year? Dom. Kyle. You shoot your way out of shooting. We've seen AJ shoot well. It's no coincidence that he hasn't shot himself out of the funk because he isn't getting the minutes to do so.

Lofton had high praise for AJ after the GW game. Honestly, I don't know what to make of AJ. He is an enigma. IMO, he has worked much harder on defense this year. He shows desire to defend. If he makes better decisions regarding shot selection the minutes are available for him. He needs to let the game come to him.

Back