Bonnies vs. VCU (Wed. 01/20/21 at 6:00 pm)

I have often wondered the same about Alpha. Is he that bad? I believe he is a decent defender which is why you see him in certain situations but he cant be so terrible as to never see the time of day. I thought Roberts had something, he showed some flashes in his limited time here, at least where I thought he could be a good player for us. The whole timing is just strange. He was supposed to sit this year anyway, knew the stable of guards we had and then throws in the towel after playing 3 games? Plus he started the season late and was behind. Whatever, have fun being a nobody in the MAC again.

Agreed with everything, 03. To be sure, I thought Roberts had something, too. When i said 'frankly unimpressive', I meant in the sense that he clearly still had work to do. And those he was playing behind, were clearly ahead of him in that department.

We still don't know exactly what is going on with Roberts, so I'm going to reserve judgments and try not to jump to any conclusions.

On the Alpha topic, I think he is Taqqee 2.0, which merits a spot on the roster. The problem is no 2 man combination of Lofton/Welch/Holmes has the same consistent offensive spark as Adams/Posley/Mobley so it makes it difficult to play someone that isn't contributing scoring. Also Taqqee never had a true backup so he had to play. For Alpha to see consistent minutes he needs to take minutes from Welch/Holmes/Vasquez and that threesome just brings more to the table.

If Schmidt were a different style coach and played matchups more than just riding his 6-7 guys I think we would see more Alpha. I also think he is reasonable insurance if Welch were to miss extended time.

To contribute to the thread drift......

I posted somewhere that after watching Lofton's game winning 3, a couple games back, multiple times, I could not help but notice that Roberts just stood there when Lofton shot. All the others collapsed to the potential rebound. He just stood there.

Doom and gloom was very fair at the half. That was putrid basketball. The second half results have me in shock. Such an effort may take time to sink in. Stunning, stunning second half performance by the defense.
Credit to Schmidt for lighting a fire under those guys and changing the gameplan to attack them and lob to the rim. VCU was shellshocked and their youth showed with the bad shots, frustration and the technical. Lofton was in Bones' head. This is a game we lose by 25 last year but not anymore. The motherfucking Bonnies are the big dicks in the A10 now. (I know St Louis is lurking but they have a lot of work to do now to catch up)

Whatever Schmidt said to them at half, or maybe even what they said to each other, I hope they remember it, and the fire that it lit. That combination of effort, focus and intensity in the second half was incredible. If they harness that into their every-game approach from the tip, there isn't anyone in the A10 that they cannot beat. Keep that going.

Whatever Schmidt said to them at half, or maybe even what they said to each other, I hope they remember it, and the fire that it lit. That combination of effort, focus and intensity in the second half was incredible. If they harness that into their every-game approach from the tip, there isn't anyone in the A10 that they cannot beat. Keep that going.
I would imagine a combination of both. Schmidt deserves some culpability in our current lineup predicament. But I'd imagine a combination of game plan and fuck this shit got the job done. So happy for these guys and what they did 2nd half. All credit to them. That was a monster turnaround.

At halftime I was thinking "same old Bonnies." After the game I was also thinking "same old Bonnies" but more like the Bonnies of the Ironman Five team. (You youngsters can look it up). I have no idea what the fuck happened, but it seems like everything gelled and we never look back from here. Playing good competition like VCU and beating them like that could be an epiphany. I've got no idea what I'm talking about, but you can probably follow my drift.

Lost in all the excitement, can someone explain to me how Shoon gets a flop technical after they allowed play to continue after the "flop"? I disagree with the flop call, and certainly without a warning, but OK so you're going to call a flop. Blow the whistle. You let VCU miss that shot, get an offensive rebound, miss that, then get another offensive rebound and make a layup, then call the flop? You can't get both, you don't get to continue play until you make a shot and then freebies on top of it. If that ref was going call flop then he should have blown the whistle immediately and stopped play right? Same ref called Shoon for the block call when he was actually pile-drived later as well.

Last edited:
Lost in all the excitement, can someone explain to me how Shoon gets a flop technical after they allowed play to continue after the "flop"? I disagree with the flop call, and certainly without a warning, but OK so you're going to call a flop. Blow the whistle. You let VCU miss that shot, get an offensive rebound, miss that, then get another offensive rebound and make a layup, then call the flop? You can't get both, you don't get to continue play until you make a shot and then freebies on top of it. If that ref was going call flop then he should have blown the whistle immediately and stopped play right? Same ref called Shoon for the block call when he was actually pile-drived later as well.
I dont think they are supposed to stop play for it but I am not sure what they are instructed to do mechanically. In high school we dont have the flop rule but if a kid does that I will call a block immediately or make the "get up" motion. From what I have seen in the past, it is something they usually review after the fact so play continues and then they look at the next dead ball. I think its just dumb. I like the spirit of it but just call the guy for a blocking foul and move on.

That block the called on Shoon was terrible too. I wont complain too much because I thought the refs allowed VCU to be too physical in the 1st half and in the 2nd we were in the double bonus half way through.

I felt like I was watching us on fast forward in the second half, I don't remember the last time we got out in transition like THAT. Sure, these first half slow starts need to be fixed, but that team I saw in the second is the best A10 team this season. We were attacking the passing lanes like crazy in the 2nd and that really forced VCU to melt down in the 2nd on offense.

As for that stupid "flop" on Shoon (which really should have been a no-call, neither a block nor charge), I heard someone say Lofton had picked up a delay of game warning right before, so this was the second one of those warning-type fouls, which meant one FT for VCU. Absolutely stupid though, since the VCU player went into Osun's knee. Not a flop, but also not a foul either way. Go A10 refs!

What is latest on Roberts? I see him spoken of in past tense now like he is gone for year. I said early on there was an untold story beyond uncle, seems to be true but mystery continues? Anything beyond Schmidt saying not expected back soon? Can't be just not enough playing time--had been out with Covid and then got his minutes....

What is latest on Roberts? I see him spoken of in past tense now like he is gone for year. I said early on there was an untold story beyond uncle, seems to be true but mystery continues? Anything beyond Schmidt saying not expected back soon? Can't be just not enough playing time--had been out with Covid and then got his minutes....
He's still back home and most likely left the team for good. One would think it couldn't be playing time, but from a few things I've heard this may very well be another case of instant gratification not being met. He came here expecting to red shirt this season, so it doesn't make much sense. I'll be more shocked than I was in the second half Wednesday if we see #4 again this season.

Another reason to get some body off the transfer portal...I was there for the original "Iron Man 5" and believe me--maybe it can work--if you have a Lanier...and back then no back to back to back tourney games.....

Back