Three Reasons Why Dayton Can Win the 2020 National Title

GKelly

Only in my wildest dreams could I have imagined writing an article about the possibility of the Dayton Flyers winning a National Championship. Even after the Flyers made the Elite Eight in 2014, a national title seemed so far fetched. Nevertheless, in the beginning of February, we’re talking about Dayton’s title hopes with all seriousness. Holding a 20-2 overall record, an unblemished 9-0 A-10 resume, and an AP ranking of No. 6 in the nation, the Flyers have officially caught the attention of the entire country. Currently a No. 2 seed in most bracket predictions, Dayton has a legitimate chance to win a national title in 2020. As surreal and insane as that feels to say type, the Dayton Flyers are 100% legit this year. Let’s take a look at what makes the Flyers so dangerous.
1. Star Power
For starters, when trying to win a national title, it helps to have a NBA draft lottery pick on your team. Thankfully for the Flyers, Obi Toppin has become a star unlike any seen before at Dayton...

Continue reading...

One reason I think they won't: defense. Looking at teams that have won the national championship the past 5 or 6 years, they all have Kenpom top 15 offensive and defensive efficiencies. The Flyers are golden in the former, ranking 2nd nationally with one of the best offenses I've seen in a long time. Defense ranks 55th right now. I worry about keeping the Kansas and Dukes of the world off the glass in the NCAA Tournament. Still think the Flyers can make a deep run.

One reason I think they won't: defense. Looking at teams that have won the national championship the past 5 or 6 years, they all have Kenpom top 15 offensive and defensive efficiencies. The Flyers are golden in the former, ranking 2nd nationally with one of the best offenses I've seen in a long time. Defense ranks 55th right now. I worry about keeping the Kansas and Dukes of the world off the glass in the NCAA Tournament. Still think the Flyers can make a deep run.
Can agree right now, but they have been as high as 38th on KenPom. Their defense has been a product of being lazy while up big, but they are very capable at playing at a high level defensively. They showed it against SLU but SLU still hit shots. They should improve going forward.

Back