Bona @ GW (Sunday, January 5th, 2020 at 4:00)

I absolutely HATE having English out of this game. This first half we could see how important he is as our glue guy. Not only his defense but his passing abilities and secondary scoring in the paint. Besides our horrendous 3pt shooting (1/8) which has been our achilles heel we only have 2 assists so far. I expect us to move ball more and maybe knock down a couple 3 pointers. Dom needs to step up for us to win this game.

Even without English this is disappointing. The simple and obvious explanation is that we might now be that good.

This one is making me more nervous as the minutes drag on. Early on I was going to post that I would not be happy with anything other than a double digit win. Now, tied at 43 with just over 11 minutes to go, I’ll be happy with a 1 point win.

Flu/concussion ... either way he could be out against GM, too.

Johnson isn’t a natural pg. He played well there and made good decisions.

Such a classic Bona game against an inferior A10 opponent, it hurts.

Positives:
-Johnson
- Bobby
-Lofton and Osun combining for 35 seemingly effortlessly
-Effortless or not, your best players taking over when needed is always a positive
-10second half assists compared to 2 in the first.

Negatives:
-Dom
-Getting beat off the dribble time and again
-Lack of fire and energy until they realized they might actually lose to that garbage team if they weren’t careful
-Winston and AJ seeming overmatched at times by inferior athletes
-Continued defensive lapses
-Nearly everything about the first half offense

Fortunately you can chalk up several of the negatives to youth and not coming to play.

We really sleepwalked through long stretches of that first half, but were able to turn it around a bit and find Osun consistently down low. He should be able to do this against many A10 stiffs in the post. We won without English and with Dom being completely non-existent offensively. A role player needed to step up, and Johnson and Boca Bob did just that (11-16 from the field). It was a conference Winn, a road Winn, and a bounce-back Winn after a tough loss. I'll take it. On to Mason.

I’ve got another positive for us.

Check the BW and there’s 2 less game posts than here. And about half those are the super isightful in-game reactivity posts by DDS, Bonaballa, and the Merman himself.

I like it. I don’t hate on the BW. There’s still some good folks over there for me to lurk on. But this is better.

This is like where I want to be now, the BW is like when you move away and go home for thanksgiving

Flu/concussion ... either way he could be out against GM, too.

Johnson isn’t a natural pg. He played well there and made good decisions.
Not sure Schmidt would agree with you on that part. A couple of those threes early in the shot clock gave him apoplexy.

btw, thanks to all who were in attendance. My son was highly entertained by the Bona contingent, particularly the guy up in Sec. 220 or whatever it is who was sitting next to the GW band. I'm not sure he believed me when I told him that I thought the Bona crowd was a little on the quiet side today. Gotta get him up to the RC. I'm just afraid that if I keep on taking him to basketball games he's going to make me watch Overwatch with him.

Mean reversion is a wonderful thing. Great second half by the squad going 50% from deep and 59% from the field. Last couple free throws got a little sloppy but not much to write home about. With English being out and Dom having 0 points in 40 minutes our other guys stepped up. Bobby and Matt Johnson produced when we needed them most. Kyle and Shoon both with great games as well.

I believe this a big win for us not because of GW's skill but because of what this game means for us. It's the first conference game, on the road, and we are without our glue guy. You need to win the games in this conference that you're supposed to win. Although, from history we end up losing to a bad team and winning against a team that should've beat us. If we win 8/10 against the teams we play twice (GW,GMU, DUQ, SJU, FU) that should put us in a good spot in the conference. Not the prettiest tonight, but I'll take it.

Not sure Schmidt would agree with you on that part. A couple of those threes early in the shot clock gave him apoplexy.

btw, thanks to all who were in attendance. My son was highly entertained by the Bona contingent, particularly the guy up in Sec. 220 or whatever it is who was sitting next to the GW band. I'm not sure he believed me when I told him that I thought the Bona crowd was a little on the quiet side today. Gotta get him up to the RC. I'm just afraid that if I keep on taking him to basketball games he's going to make me watch Overwatch with him.
Yea, but he hit two that really opened things up for us. The good decisions were mainly not driving into traffic as much today. That, and playing within the offense. He played well as did Bobby.

Reactions: res
Nice contribution from the bench. We're very dependent on Osun staying on the floor, and we dodged a bullet as we so often do when he gets over 30 minutes on the floor. One game down and the Bonnies are where they need to be. Go team, and don't catch any diseases down there in the swamp.

Every time we had to run a set offense it should have gone through Shoon today. Down the stretch they did and he just easily got to the rim.

Doms stat line would be ok if he was a 15 minute a game role player. 6 boards, a few assists a couple steals. But he's a 30+ minute shooting guard.

Bobby is gritty. I like it.

Kyle was solid, but I'm sick of him missing FTs late in games.

Real happy to see Johnson break out, He did play well and handled the ball satisfactorily too.

I hope this team isn't where it can or should be yet, because there's a lot to get better by Brooklyn.

Today's rotation. Johnson had only played a combined 16 minutes over the last eight games (since English returned from his hand injury). With English out again, he had a season-high 29 minutes. Vasquez had a turnover in each half that made Schmidt immediately pull him in favor of Johnson. Coach's leash is extremely short with this year's freshmen.
gwrotation.png

Back