It’s here, Flyer fans.
Your Dayton Flyers take the court this evening on a Monday of all days to take on Cedarville in an exhibition game.
Now, I know our sicko fans sold out the arena for this game just to see our Flyers presumably obliterate our opponents from Division II, but it is still exciting to fill up UD Arena again and share a beverage with our fellow brethren.
For those of us not at the game tonight, myself included, we will have to listen to WHIO’s very own Larry Hansgen’s play-by-play call due to the game not being televised on ESPN+ or wherever we get Dayton games. Larry is the absolute best, and if you normally don’t listen to the radio, it is a great treat to listen to him call a game.
Even though this game is meaningless (unless we somehow lose), there are still some things to watch for. Those include:
- Starting lineup
- This will most likely be the same one we see on opening night next Tuesday vs UIC
- Who is first off the bench?
- How many guys come off the bench?
- Which lineups are the most effective?
- This is your first look at the very hyped DaRon Holmes, Mali Smith, Lynn Greer, and Kaleb Washington. How do they look stepping out into the college game?
- Is Camara the real deal? What about Elvis and Amaefule
- Is anyone on the bench in a boot? Is it already deep bone bruise season?
Most of these things you should see or hear about during the game as Anthony Grant will want to get as many looks at everyone as possible.
Remember these things as well, fellow Flyers fans:
- Do not freak out when the score is close early. This is their first game of the season. It will take a few minutes, even past the 16 minute timeout marker. It’s ok, they will get it together.
- This team is YOUNG. How young? How about 3rd youngest in the country. You will probably see some growing pains, but that is why we play these exhibition games. They still should win against this team, but youth could mean a little trouble early on while trying to mesh together on the floor and get their sea legs under them.
- Enjoy being in UD Arena again. Enjoy it. Don’t take it for granted. You never know when we could be in a season like last year again. Soak it all in, even for a game as meaningless as this.
And as always, WARE RED, and BE LOWD